Plunge Router Recommendations

lewisc

The current line up is a Triton 2400W in the router table and a Makita Trim Router.

I'm after another plunge router for jobs that don't involve the router table. Cutting channels, table edging, following templates etc. Any recommendations that aren't cheap but probably not the Festool price range either.

I know you said “probably” not Festool but I have to plug for the OF2200 plunge router. Yes it is big bucks but it is bar none the best plunge router I have ever used!  Even though it is big it handles like no other router I have used and I have 6 different routers.  The design of the handle configuration make hand held routing a breeze and the depth control is second to none.  The soft start and dust collection are amazing and the ease of bit installing and removal with the ratchet system make it a joy to change bits. The base plate changeout is so simple with the simple click of a lever, no more screws to mess around with.  The edge guide works extremely well, especially the micro adjustment.  As well you can attach a guide that attaches to the track system for straight controlled cuts.  I have smaller Porter Cable routers and the larger Festool router handles better in hand held applications.  There are lots of good plunge routers out there but I have not seen any with all the features of the OF2200.  No I don’t work for Festool and I am sometime critical of their high prices but I have to say I never question or regret the purchase of the OF2200.  

I've got a big Bosch plunge router that I like, but it's at least 10 years old so the same or similar model might not be around now. Plus it's the big boy and a tad unwieldy for your purposes. Whenever a job comes along that will justify one the mid sized Festool plunge router is on my list.

I have put a lot of hard heavy hours on my Festool trim router in the last 6 or 7 years and it is showing no signs of wear yet. Over the last 30 years I've run close to a dozen trim routers to an early grave. Half of those were commercial grade Porter Cable trim routers. I guess my point is I think the Festool routers are worth what they charge for them.  

Hmmm...it's a $700 difference between the OF1400 and the Triton I bought. It's another $500 on top of that for the OF2200. I know the quality and ease of use is there but I'd struggle to justify that much on a Festool router.  Having said that, once it's there, it opens up opportunity to do so many more things because they are nice to use. I won;t be going back to other sanders after using Festool. Maybe it will be that way for the routers.

Edit. The more I read about the Festool, the more it feels like a better choice. They've got me.

I'll start by saying I have a router problem...a big router problem...3 PC trim routers, 2 Bosch Colt trim routers, 2 Ridgid trim routers, Dewalt 611 Kit, PC7518 (router table), OF 1400, and OF 2200. If I was starting a set I would go with a Bosch Colt for edge treatments, a PC 7518 for the router table and the OF1400 as my go to for all other tasks. I would add a Dewalt 611 kit when money was available, its great for inlay work. I would add the OF2200 when most of my other tool purchases were complete as I feel its a luxury item, but a very nice one. I would also note that most of my trim routers have come off CL and I usually can get them for $40 or less. They work great for edge specific routers without changing bits and I also use a couple in some box joint jigs I have.

Not sure if the Milwaukees are still built the way they were a decade or so ago but, I have several and all they do is work.  The 5616-24 has one of the smoothest plunge bases I've used.  I am a little prejudiced since I have several 5615 and 5616 motors which allow me to swap motors and bases for all sorts of combinations.  If their quality is still there, I would go that route in a heartbeat.  I have a dozen years on the 5625 in my router table and is gets used . . . a lot.  The little 5615's I use for things just a bit much for a trim router have been worked hard for at least that long and run as tight and true as day one. 

Mil-Crew-Update.jpg.682504c7be5fa9cdf53a3d484dda4f51.jpg

We all tend to recommend those tools that have served us well so take that into account . Here's some of them.  I keep thinking that surely one of them will need brushes someday.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I'll start by saying I have a router problem...a big router problem...3 PC trim routers, 2 Bosch Colt trim routers, 2 Ridgid trim routers, Dewalt 611 Kit, PC7518 (router table), OF 1400, and OF 2200. If I was starting a set I would go with a Bosch Colt for edge treatments, a PC 7518 for the router table and the OF1400 as my go to for all other tasks. I would add a Dewalt 611 kit when money was available, its great for inlay work. I would add the OF2200 when most of my other tool purchases were complete as I feel its a luxury item, but a very nice one. I would also note that most of my trim routers have come off CL and I usually can get them for $40 or less. They work great for edge specific routers without changing bits and I also use a couple in some box joint jigs I have.

There is help available.

• Haha 1

I have one of the 2.5 hp craftsman routers. Does the job in plunge and in the table with plenty of power. The stock fence isn't made as good as my trash can though and works as a fence just about as well. But it was one of those sales I couldn't refuse and has done the job for 4 years. Come to find out Bosh made the router so thumbs up for Bosh two thumbs down for craftsman accessories. 

Craftsman never made anything. King Seely, Singer, Emerson now Bosch and lord knows how many others. They get someone else to build it and slap their name on it.  When I was starting out they made some fairly decent stuff. My dad has a 1/2" drill that's almost as old as I am. But the quality has been slipping since the  early 70's. .....just sayin.

I have an old craftsman 3 hp plunge router I got back in the mid-80’s.  It has been my go to plunge router before I bought the OF2200.  It is still running strong.  It was part of what they called their professional series, not sure who made it but it is solid as a rock, not like those plastic red things they came out with years later.

Don't be thinking the Craftsman power tools of the 70s were that great. In the early 70s my dad bought 5 or 6 tools; router, sander,  jig saw & I can't remember what else. Within a year they were all dead or just tossed because they were so bad at what they were supposed to do. Craftsman hand tools were pretty good though.

• Like 1

I have an old Craftman router as well, the 1.5 hp variant. It sat on under my drafting/craft table unused for quite a while until my niece spilled a massive cup of juice into where it was stored and now it is a substitute for a broken table leg on one of my 3D printer stands...

I have the OF1400 and the Bosch 1617 and like them both.  The FT just does a much better job with DC and have better options with the guide rails.  I typically grab the OF 1400 first.

I also have the big Porter Cable in my router table and a Bosch trim router.

Seeing some of the lists above, I feel very inadequate!