First car?

legenddc

50's Morris Minor.  My parents bought it from a preacher friend around the corner.  Cost was $115 and I drove it two years in high school before getting a '65 Mustang.

The Morris Minor would go 60 mph downhill and with a tailwind.  JC Whitney was my new 'friend' and go to source for parts.  The car was a blast!  Two of us could pick up the rear end and move the car.  Three of us could pick up the front end. It makes a VW Bug look large and looked about like this one - :D

Morris_Minor_1000_Front.thumb.jpg.adab93d96035793f0f844c21e2bc663c.jpg

David

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

You win.

First drive, '65 Impala. First owned, 1980 Datsun Stretch pickup, brand new. Last new car I ever bought.

When I lived in Texas as a kid - I had a friend who's dad owned a junk yard. We used to drive their model A down the little lanes between the wrecks. It was quite the adventure for me at that age.

• Like 1

At 14 I bought a '68 or '69 Plymouth Sports Fury with a 318 and an automatic.  I never got in on the road.  That was my first car and a piece of crap.  Years later I bought a Plymouth Voyager Rallye and that was a piece of crap too and I swore never to buy another Mopar ever again.  

The first car I bought that I actually got to drive was a '75 AMC Hornet.  Which, despite some problems, just kept running and running.  The dimmer switch caught the carpet on fire one rainy night as the car had a few leaks, but I changed the switch and ran it for a few years after that.  At 70 mph the dash bounced up and down like it was going to take flight too as I remember.

Here's another early driving story:

My Dad traded cars often, and was good friends with Herman Sadler (Grandfather of Hermie, and Elliot Sadler) who had started a car dealership about that time.  Mr. Sadler would send cars home with my Dad, hoping he would decide to buy it.

I was 15, and hadn't had my drivers license for very long.  I was not old enough for anyone to allow their daughters to go with me, but did pick up other boys to go to Boy Scout meetings.

On this occasion, I had three boys to pick up, so the pickup would have been a little too tight.  Mr. Sadler had sent a car he had taken in on trade home with us, so my Dad said to drive that.

It was a 1964 Ivory colored GTO convertible, with Turqouise interior, 3 deuces on the V8, and a four speed.  It was a cold night, but we decided to ride with the top down anyway.  I didn't hurt the car, but did find out what it could do.  Experience driving the go-kart probably helped us all get back home safely that night.

Not really mine, but one my dad was good enough to provide for me, was a 1964 Mercury Meteor station wagon with a 223 cu. in. 6 cylinder & a 3 on the tree. It brought me meaning to the term 'gutless'.

Oh, the times we had with that car. I remember going bowling for a phys ed class & we had to make our own way to the bowling alley. 16 of us crammed into that car to get there. That would never be allowed now.

That Uncle's house was just a quarter mile from where I95 is, a few miles South of the Virgina line.  95 was under construction, and all graded out red dirt, but no gravel anywhere except near the bridges that had already been built.  They decided to take me to 95, where I had more room to learn how to drive the go-kart.  I was probably one of the first people to speed on 95, and went there for a number of weekends.  They did end up putting the largest chainsaw clutches on it, but it would wear them out fairly quickly.

Tom, when they were building I-95 in Phila. And I was a kid, we used to ride our dirt bikes on the large mounds of fill they piled up. One day we followed a construction path and lo and behold they had just poured about 2 miles of roadway.

Pegged the speedometer at 70 and to this day swear I was flying.

thanks for reminding me of that.