First car?

legenddc

I've seen some of these discussions pop up in the various off-topic posts, but curious to see it all together. What was your first car you drove and/or purchased?

I got my driver's permit in 2000, license in 2001.

First car I drove was a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager (mini-van). First car I bought was a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0 6 cyl stick shift) in 2004 and until January this year it was my daily driver. Need to sell it but I'm dragging my feet on it.

First car i drove and got my license in was a 1968 VW square back that belonged to my parents.  First car I bought was a 1956 Mercury Monterey and I wish i still had it.  But what I didn't know at the time I bought it was the frame was bent and because of that it went through tires pretty quickly and that got old fast.  Unfortunately back then they didn't have the technology they do now for fixing frames. 

First car to drive, Dads 1946 Ford pick-up. First care to call my own 1947 ford sedan (three on the tree) Second car I owned was 1953 Chevy standard shift with split manifold. Then 1956 Ford, 1957 Ford, '61 Austen Healy Sprite. That gets us up to 1968 and there have been quite a few "rides" since then. :)

I learned to drive in two cars.  A 1970 Olds Delta 88 with automatic and 455 ci V8 and simultaneously in a 1968 VW type 3 manual.  The VW had 4 forward gears, but no reverse, that was busted.  So had to be careful where I parked.

First car I owned was 1980 Olds Omega.  That was a sweet ride, had all the electrics which was something in its day.

Got my driver's license on my 15th Birthday, in 1965 driving a '62 98 Oldsmobile for the driving test.  Had to parallel park it in a spot marked with vertical rebar in concrete filled tin cans.  Pulled up beside it, and the Tester said, "I don't think it'll go in there."  I said, "I'll try."   Put it a half inch off the curb.  He said, "Can you do that again?"   I said, "I don't know.  You want to give it a try?"  He said, "Hell no!"

First car of my own was a 1970 Olds 442 W30, when I was 19 years old.  Never got a ticket, or had a wreck, but could drift those bias ply tires around curves fairly good.  There was so little traffic back then that we'd turn our lights off before entering a turn, to see if anything was coming the other way.  Virginia back roads were so narrow, that if there wasn't a crown in the road, two cars might not have been able to meet going opposite directions.

'47 Willys Jeep CJ-2A. We had a cabin in northern NM that my dad built that same year. My grandparents spent their summers there, so that's where we kept it until I was old enough to drive.

When I was about 9 I spent a month up there with the grandparents. After about a day I was bored to death so Sam (granddad) decided he'd teach me to drive. Our secret. I got pretty good at it. When I was 12 and my brother was 14 my dad thought it was time to teach my brother to drive the Jeep. Just the 3 of us, me in the back, our secret. He just could not get the hang of the clutch. Killed it about 34 times. He finally got it, so dad thought he'd give me a shot. Ha. Like a pro, first time. From then on I was the designated driver when we went to the cabin.

• Haha 1

When I turned 16, I had held a job at a tire shop sweeping floors and stacking tires since my fifteenth b day so pops told me he would match me $ to $ up to 5k to buy a vehicle 

Built an 86 f150 w 6" suspension lift, on 37's, smoke stacks and a the stars n bars flying off the light bar out the back. In suburban California.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First car I bought was a '66 ford thunderbird when I was 17. Bought it from our elderly next door neighbor with low miles. Sooo many people told me to put it in the garage on blocks and hold onto it.

traded it in on a '77 Z28 when Chevy started making them again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

Young teenage boys, the mistakes we have made!

I was fortunate to have my first 9 years of work on a rural college campus. I tried so many things in empty lots over summer without putting people at risk. The number one thing that bothers me is the town kids who don’t know to get out in the sticks and end up trying those things in crowded places. 

• Like 1

Growing up my parents had a 1950s Volvo, it looked something like this: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-classic-volvo-pv544-car-from-1950s-1960s-london-149197265.html

My older sister drove it while in high school and hated it. She would leave the windows down with the keys in the car hoping that somebody would steal it but nobody ever did. Her friends moved it once without her knowing it and she was so happy until she found it. :)

I loved that car, I played in it as a kid and was hoping it would be my first car once I got my license but my dad sold it before I turned 16.