Dust Collector Floor Sweeps.

Chestnut

I had one for a while. I used it. Needed the port for the 16-32, so the floor sweep went away.

I really don't miss it. I always made a point to sift through the dust for metal that could clang around or potentially hit the impeller and cause a spark if you have a single stage collector. Magnets around the opening help, but it just wasn't worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

So a 6" pipe to the sweep? Over kill?

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

I had one for a while. I used it. Needed the port for the 16-32, so the floor sweep went away.

I really don't miss it. I always made a point to sift through the dust for metal that could clang around or potentially hit the impeller and cause a spark if you have a single stage collector. Magnets around the opening help, but it just wasn't worth it IMO.

If you had a 2 stage and didn't have to worry about metal would that change your opinion on them?

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So a 6" pipe to the sweep? Over kill?

If you had a 2 stage and didn't have to worry about metal would that change your opinion on them?

I have a two stage. Just hate that clanging around when the odd screw gets trapped in a vortex.

It's not so much I don't like them, just that I didn't find it to be that convenient vs a broom and dustpan. It didn't save me any time having to sweep everything in the shop to one spot as opposed to smaller piles I could empty into the nearest trash bucket. When I had the tech center with a big CNC I found it very convenient to have one right next to it. It was also hooked up a 10 Hp DC, which helped.

• Thanks 1

I use a Shop Vac with a 25 foot hose to reach all over the shop.  Put two tubes and a floor attachment minus the brush and it does a good job. I first vacuum the shop tools as BS, TS, DP, lathe first. I'm retired so time isn't really important....unless I'm getting ready to go fishing. Then, I go fishing and clean the shop when I can't go fishing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The model shop that i worked in while in college had one of these and I loved it. Obviously it helps if you have enough space to have smooth concrete floors with enough space to collect dust and get a broom in to get it out again. I found the process of sweeping up the dust and seeing it zoomed away very satisfying. 

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Robert Morse said:

Are the sides open on yours, Drew?  I need something similar, and I like how simple your approach was on this. I think I was going to over-complicate it. 

So i didn't take pictures of the inside and the above picture doesn't really show everything so i drew up plans just for you. :D all of 5 min in cad. No only the front is open. I did not seal it to the floor either in hopes that the gaps would grab dust from around the outside. I should make a video of it working because it is fun to use.

Drawing1-Model.thumb.jpg.2e2a74d5cd8fad469f0ec005a39b8848.jpg

I installed two pieces of 1/4" ply inside to block the corners. I figured dust was probably goign to build up there so instead of letting that happen i just put baffles in. I kind of guessed on the front dimensions cause i don't remember. I do remember that i shot for having a 1.25-1.5" opening. at 13" wide a 1" opening is the same area as a 4" dc hose. I figured if i went slightly over that there would be enough velocity at the inlet to suck up anything i put in front of it. I also included my mistakes. I measured 13.5" to account for material width and then messes up centering the 4" hose connection. The image if printed at 100% on 8.5x11 1" = 3"

It took me a total of 30 min to complete not including drying time on the silicone and wood glue. I made this out of old growth VG redwood.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...