8 Drawer Dresser In Walnut

Chestnut

So the drawers need to be zied a bit. I made them a hair big and then plane down the sides to a perfect fit. Good way to plane drawers I've found is to extend a couple pieces of something over the edge of the bench and then hang the drawer on it.

3268379783819955904.thumb.jpg.c0189d48c7a4194b66e6ffc1eaa4c319.jpg

Sanding the shop veneer went great. I cut it so that the outside of the blade was at 1/8" so the veneer was a kerf width under 1/8". I bought a woodslicer specifically for this and so far i can say the blade does a great job. The kerf is nice and thin and the cut quality is better than your typical band saw blade but still not as nice as the resaw king. I had a few issues with my RK blade with bad drift so i went for a sure deal. To sand i just used double stick tape to a piece of pine i jointed flat. I used painters tape first with a couple pieces of double stick tape. Then i realized i could get multiple uses out of the double stick tape and it was slightly easier so i just went that route.

7040887878196672436.thumb.jpg.9e58d852c416ad721b742af9b437c3b2.jpg

I cut the veneer oversized. Trimming it down present me a problem so i opted to a high tooth count blade on the table saw. I used a piece of pine as a gripper of sorts and it worked great. Very grippy on the rough sanded surface. Als there was a lot of wave so i was able to hold the piece flat on the table.

6245131384013315630.thumb.jpg.6c89fff6ad657d25fb2a1c6b86a32ffb.jpg

For gluing them on. I can't remember where i saw using a towel between a caul but that's what i did. The fronts weren't perfectly flat so if i used used a board to distribute the clamping force there would be gaps. I put some wax paper between the towel and the drawer face.

6105260754722849465.thumb.jpg.774a747badf148cb072428f4429c64cb.jpg

I sparingly spread glue on both surfaces with one of those breyers.

5535024425744899370.thumb.jpg.655d60502852ddbd5b6caafc13e2e83c.jpg

Clamps, i used another piece of pine that was jointed and planed flat.

5122208822680608466.thumb.jpg.82477c3e6c2af9738b368bfaf0cd0e04.jpg

Here is what I've gotten done so far.

2498335784315333332.thumb.jpg.dc78fb06015b24d8e80665548f8a42ff.jpg

My question to the group is should i do the drawers like the top row or the 2nd row? Megan wanted to see it both ways. So i humored her and we couldn't decide.

1 hour ago, Alan G said:

I like both as well but I would choose the top.

Are those drawers interchangeable left to right? meaning once you have them all done and finished can you look at the whole dresser both ways?

Maybe depends on the route i go for guides. I can probably make them so they can swap side to side. I'll have to look into that.

If i do make them so they can be swapped one side will always be looser than the other as the openings aren't perfect. So gaps might not be the same all the way around.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, Chestnut said:

2498335784315333332.thumb.jpg.dc78fb06015b24d8e80665548f8a42ff.jpg

My question to the group is should i do the drawers like the top row or the 2nd row? Megan wanted to see it both ways. So i humored her and we couldn't decide.

For me it depends on how you want the piece to fit in the room.  Grain orientation can sometimes make a piece feel taller, shorter, wider or less narrower.

The top drawer orientation brings the visual focus to the center of then piece, making it feel smaller in width.  The lower drawer orientation spreads out the focus to the sides in long sweeping motions, making the piece feel wider than it actually is (in my opinion, of course).

If you have a big room and want it to feel like a big piece, I'd go with the lower orientation.  If you don't have a ton of space and want it to at least feel smaller, I'd go with the top orientation.

• Thanks 1

I don’t choose to be different, it just happens. So right now, as it sits, you can move any drawer where you want it? If so, can you post a pic of both rows the same in both orientations. To me, as shown, the first looks like SW Airlines logo and if repeated on down, it might look too busy. 

I think I like alternating, in and out on the figure, but I tend to have a bias towards high contrast...

@Chestnut

You've probably discussed this before, but how come you don't have a full Roubo Bench? Honestly with how many high quality projects and high quality tools you apparently have, I just sort of assumed you already had a bench like that. Just haven't gotten around to it yet?

19 minutes ago, Isaac said:

You've probably discussed this before, but how come you don't have a full Roubo Bench? Honestly with how many high quality projects and high quality tools you apparently have, I just sort of assumed you already had a bench like that. Just haven't gotten around to it yet?

I want to build one someday but what i have does work. I was going to purchase the hardware a few days ago but then a RAS 115E came up on the festoolrecon site so i snagged that, found a large nail in the tire of my pickup, and my computer died. So the spare cash i was hoping to use from my tax return vanished quite quickly on unforeseen expenses. I managed to grab a new Dell laptop off their outlet site for nearly 50% off what a new one would be. I think it's a scratch and dent deal but i don't care, I'm just going to add to the scratches and dents. The computer incident was last night, i was still up to that point thinking i'd be able to swing the hardware this spring and maybe the wood later on. Oh well now it's time to save for the spring and summer house projects. I need to upgrade my service to a 200A from a 100A and work towards finishing my garage. The last few days have reminded me why i want to install a heater out there.

So i was hoping for a spring 2019 roubo build, but it looks like it's getting pushed back. I'm not heart broken, after BC decided to pull that knob BS i think I'll wait until they get enough push back and hopefully correct their mistake. If they don't I'll just have to make my own knobs. What i need to do right now is flatten the top. It currently has a 3/8" crown in the center, which gets old fast.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I want to build one someday but what i have does work. I was going to purchase the hardware a few days ago but then a RAS 115E came up on the festoolrecon site so i snagged that, found a large nail in the tire of my pickup, and my computer died. So the spare cash i was hoping to use from my tax return vanished quite quickly on unforeseen expenses. I managed to grab a new Dell laptop off their outlet site for nearly 50% off what a new one would be. I think it's a scratch and dent deal but i don't care, I'm just going to add to the scratches and dents. The computer incident was last night, i was still up to that point thinking i'd be able to swing the hardware this spring and maybe the wood later on. Oh well now it's time to save for the spring and summer house projects. I need to upgrade my service to a 200A from a 100A and work towards finishing my garage. The last few days have reminded me why i want to install a heater out there.

So i was hoping for a spring 2019 roubo build, but it looks like it's getting pushed back. I'm not heart broken, after BC decided to pull that knob BS i think I'll wait until they get enough push back and hopefully correct their mistake. If they don't I'll just have to make my own knobs. What i need to do right now is flatten the top. It currently has a 3/8" crown in the center, which gets old fast.

Sorry about the unforscene expenses. I have to say, the lack of the bench doesn't seem to be holding you back much, keep up the good work. Still, I totally get wanting a full blown Roubo, I plan to build one myself. Looks like we might be making a local move that will hopefully lead to more shop space (and hopefully more vertical clearance) for me. I'd love to use my current bench as a glue up and assembly table and build a proper bench. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Sorry about the unforscene expenses. I have to say, the lack of the bench doesn't seem to be holding you back much, keep up the good work. Still, I totally get wanting a full blown Roubo, I plan to build one myself. Looks like we might be making a local move that will hopefully lead to more shop space (and hopefully more vertical clearance) for me. I'd love to use my current bench as a glue up and assembly table and build a proper bench. 

Like new property? Hope that it works out! Don't settle for something that doesn't have the potential for a good shop ;)   :D

Unforeseen expenses happen, the computer bugs me because i bought it a year ago. It was used mind you but it was a nice computer. One of the 15" dell latitude doo dads. Had an i7, SSD and all the bells and whistles. The new one i got is  slower but hopefully will last longer and wasn't that expensive at $445. I thought sawdust might have had a role in the computer's demise. But i tore it apart and it was very clean inside.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Like new property? Hope that it works out! Don't settle for something that doesn't have the potential for a good shop ;)   :D

Unforeseen expenses happen, the computer bugs me because i bought it a year ago. It was used mind you but it was a nice computer. One of the 15" dell latitude doo dads. Had an i7, SSD and all the bells and whistles. The new one i got is  slower but hopefully will last longer and wasn't that expensive at $445. I thought sawdust might have had a role in the computer's demise. But i tore it apart and it was very clean inside.

Thanks. I'll do my best to get a better shop space. Really, I try to not let my limited space be too much of an excuse. It is physically difficult, however, to manipulate large pieces in a confined space with 6'-3" ceilings, so a queen or king size bed frame would generally be a poor choice of a project for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Thanks. I'll do my best to get a better shop space. Really, I try to not let my limited space be too much of an excuse. It is physically difficult, however, to manipulate large pieces in a confined space with 6'-3" ceilings, so a queen or king size bed frame would generally be a poor choice of a project for me. 

Yeah that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The one thing that i noticed that is really nice with a good space is your efficiency goes way up. I can come down and get to work instead of tripping over things all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The one thing that i noticed that is really nice with a good space is your efficiency goes way up. I can come down and get to work instead of tripping over things all the time.

yeah, to actually get anything done, I realized I needed to be more organized and have a specific plan for what I wanted to accomplish, otherwise the space issues compound with general inefficiency and you really really get nothing done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

yeah, to actually get anything done, I realized I needed to be more organized and have a specific plan for what I wanted to accomplish, otherwise the space issues compound with general inefficiency and you really really get nothing done. 

If i blocked this website on my shop comptuer i'd get more done. I won't do that because you guys already tell me i complete too many projects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, K Cooper said:

I don’t choose to be different, it just happens. So right now, as it sits, you can move any drawer where you want it? If so, can you post a pic of both rows the same in both orientations. To me, as shown, the first looks like SW Airlines logo and if repeated on down, it might look too busy. 

YES YES i can!

2077291473606907860.thumb.jpg.4fcb05bb33f65947b13dd86dfaec19d7.jpg

1845321508688928015.thumb.jpg.2e4af65df7e69c5183e6e3366681cda9.jpg

I also have the last 2 drawers in the clamps. This weekend I'll get to move on to drawer guides and then finishing. Oh yeah and a top.

5240442430838497767.thumb.jpg.8ce7ad338ea91330545eb607b5a642ba.jpg

• Like 2