8 Drawer Dresser In Walnut

Chestnut

I like that you kept the sap at the top of the crotch. That always looks like a setting/rising sun on the horizon to me. The color vibrancy can be awesome in person, because the curl and crotch continues into the sap. Atleast in the crotches i collect and use. I always keep an eye out of yard trees etc. and buy short walnut logs for this very reason. Yard trees and otherwise unusable short logs can be fantastic drawerfronts. A+ on the drawerfronts' grain and overall arrangement. I will have to go back through the rest of the thread to see what the case structure looks like, but forgive me for saying the rest of the build is a little blah. The drawerfronts were always going to be the star of the show,  and im not suggesting more figure in the legs or rails, but i think they do need more nuance to them. Frankly, im guilty of the same critiques leveled against my own designs. My idea usually has one or two things that command all my attention and creative focus and the rest just goes together to make the original happen. 

Great piece, looking forward to final finish. Gotta oil that crotch despite the rest of your finishing schedule. 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, RichardA said:

The figure in the top and bottom drawer sets, appear to be a touch wider than the two sets in the middle.  They are framed beautifully.  Well done Drew.  It reminds me of the wings that the Air Force and Paratroopers exhibit.

What happened with the bottom one is i left the sap a bit larger to better match the  pair above. This shifted the whole veneer slightly. The knot on the outsides was pretty strait for the first 3 drawer pairs and then is way outside on the last one. It was a tricky balance and figured the sapwood would be the most obvious inconsistency. There is a lot to balance and half the time i felt i was going in blind worried about a shift of the veneer while clamping. One did shift significantly and i had to pull it from the clamps and then apply more glue because it had started to dry slightly.

1 hour ago, Pwk5017 said:

I will have to go back through the rest of the thread to see what the case structure looks like, but forgive me for saying the rest of the build is a little blah.

Yes it is but it was more by intent than lack of inspiration. I didn't want the piece to look garish next to the rest of the furniture in the room. The bookshelves i made are very simple. I like them a lot but they don't have much flair. Also the nightstands in the room are VERY basic as well. They have little details here and there that take inspection to find. The lines are figure not defects from poor craftsmanship.

1709566033650753057.thumb.jpg.73723a1fd8558a60128672709258c61c.jpg

I find that i like the simple designs with some figure slipped in here or there or some other little details. I made a piece entirely out of curly cherry and i don't like it. I wish that i had use strait grain for everything but the panels and drawer fronts..... oh well.

• Like 1

I go with the bottom pic in your last post but, for me, 4 drawers like that is maybe a bit overwhelming. So....... just to confuse the issue.....What if the top 2 drawers had the figure in the center and the bottom 2 drawers had the figure at the outside?

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I go with the bottom pic in your last post but, for me, 4 drawers like that is maybe a bit overwhelming. So....... just to confuse the issue.....What if the top 2 drawers had the figure in the center and the bottom 2 drawers had the figure at the outside?

I tried it briefly and didn't like it. I didn't take a picture of it though.

I would have enjoyed the first coat on those drawer fronts. the whole time i worked on my bed frame with similar walnut crotch panels, i kept thinking how good the panels would ultimately look. First coat of finish exceeded those expectations.

Looking at the unsanded pics, i knew the fronts would be awesome. They didnt disappoint. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Nut, what are you finishing the top with? Grain looks great! 

I just put on coat 3 30 seconds ago. I had some nasty tear out that i should have hit with a card scraper but didn't because i couldn't see it without finish. So after coat 4 if it doesn't meet my expectations I'll bust out the card scraper and start over.