"Ketchit"

Mark J

10 minutes ago, phinds said:

I assume you still have all your fingers,

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That had to be incredibly scary on the lathe!

Well a few scratchs seems to be the norm, but not really as scary to do as the final form suggests.  For example the corners of the top piece look very sharp now, but when they are first turned they are 90* corners.  Then the sides get sculpted and the corners get more acute.  After that they get sanded to a point.  And the sanding is done at 50-100 RPM or with the motor off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

Last pic, had it been me, I would have made the support angles on the bottom piece, match the top piece. 

If you mean to have the pillars of the base piece curve into and run parellel to the wings of the top piece, then I actually sketched that idea out when I was planning this piece.  I decided against it as I felt the level of precision required was more than I could achieve.  

Stunning. I've read through your journal on how you do these multiple times. Still flabbergasted...

Is the intent supposed to be a water drop?

Another idea that would be cool is to do a turning of how physics visualize gravity and have a planet or sphere in the bottom.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

Damn young'un.  I've met you, and it's no surprise that you're so talented.  Absolutely beautiful.

OK, I admit it!  Some of your talents rubbed off on me when we shook hands.  :)

Chip, don't sell yourself short.  I can't do string inlay, and I couldn't make a dovetail joint with or without a jig.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Is the intent supposed to be a water drop?

Another idea that would be cool is to do a turning of how physics visualize gravity and have a planet or sphere in the bottom.

It was supposed to be a droplet of water, but now I tell people it's honey (higher viscosity :)).  I didn't get the contours of the droplet quite the way I intended--it's only my second finial, so I'm cutting myself some slack.  I also was a little off on the outer curve of the base component, and the droplet isn't dropped as far as I would have liked.  Here are a couple of 3D drawings showing the goal, but if you excuse the pun, with a lathe things don't always turn out the way you were planning.

371198327_ketchit81.thumb.jpg.f85b96788bf8a431164445813131a635.jpg

934744577_ketchit82.thumb.jpg.4c32d2e46d567046c954b7621204238d.jpg

• Like 2

I sent a couple of pics of the finished product to a turner friend of mine. I know nothing about turning but he said in the three years that he’s been turning and a member of a club that invites turners from around the country, this is the most amazing project he’s ever seen. 

• Thanks 1