What came in the mail today?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, Von said:

Found a business nearby that is selling their birch plywood remnants (finished on one or two faces.) They make camping trailers and the cutouts are from doors and windows, about 30"x40" or 3"x4". I bought a bunch to make myself a shop cabinet with much needed storage.

A lesson learned working with this plywood: the pre-finished sides require extra care in cutting. The finish produces a strong odor when cut and with a cheap blade (like the plywood blade in my circular saw) the odor was quite strong. Good blades, ventilation, and PPE are a must.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, Mark J said:

While we're asking questions, what is a "conversion varnish"?

internet  if this helps…

Pre-cat, Post-cat or Conversion Varnish
Which Product is Best For Me?
Precatalyzed (pre-cat) Lacquers are blends of nitrocellulose resin, plasticizers and thermosetting resins dissolved in solvent. After drying, nitrocellulose resin can be easily re-dissolved in common solvent, but thermosetting resins react to form films that cannot be re-dissolved. The reaction of these thermosetting resins is accelerated by addition of a weak catalyst by the coating manufacturer; the weak catalyst ensures a longer shelf life (usually 90 - 365 days). Pre-cat lacquers will yellow with age and light exposure. These are fast-drying medium performance products.

Postcatalyzed (post-cat) Lacquers are similar in basic composition to pre-cat lacquers, but tend to have a slightly higher content of resins solids so they may develop a slightly thicker dry film for the same wet film thickness application. As the name suggests these coatings are catalyzed by the user just before application and yield a pot life (time after catalyst addition when the coating is fit for use) in the range of 8 hours to a few days. The catalyst used also causes the thermosetting resins to react faster and more completely creating a film that can be tougher, more scratch resistant and more resistant to solvent attack. Post-cat lacquers will yellow with age and light exposure. These are fast-drying medium to high performance products.

Conversion Varnishes contain a greater amount of thermosetting resin and less (or no) nitrocellulose resin. They generally have a higher resin solids content and develop a greater dry film thickness for the same wet film thickness, but tend to dry slower than lacquers. Due to the higher thermosetting resin content conversion varnishes have good solvent resistance and can be more durable than medium performance lacquers, but usually yield a pot life of 8 – 16 hours. These are medium-fast drying high performance products.

• Thanks 2

On 8/11/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mark J said:

I have never sprayed.  Truth be told I don't ever brush on finishes either.  I have a couple of wipe on products that I stick to using.  But I'd never heard of conversion varnish.

Conversion varnish is considered a Cadillac finish, but I’ve seen people fight with it in person with booths, so I’ll stick with my S&W T-77. I was paying $26 a gallon years ago and I think it’s up to under $40 now. I love the stuff..

On 8/23/2023 at 3:49 PM, Chestnut said:

I've been wanting to make a Nakashima inspired slab bench and decided it was a good excuse to buy this portable drill guide from rockler. I think it's going to be great for drilling back slats at angles to make a bench.

So far I've only unboxed it and fiddled with knobs but it feels very well built. The action is smooth but catches a bit if it's pushed down at an odd angle. I'll probably try and wax the guides.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. I have the cheaper Milescraft and it binds constantly on me.

18 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've been wanting to make a Nakashima inspired slab bench and decided it was a good excuse to buy this portable drill guide from rockler. I think it's going to be great for drilling back slats at angles to make a bench.

0818231603_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.bc8eb66c607a9ddaae4a9c1aca887cf8.jpeg

So far I've only unboxed it and fiddled with knobs but it feels very well built. The action is smooth but catches a bit if it's pushed down at an odd angle. I'll probably try and wax the guides.

I have one of those. You need to be really careful and have a steady hand because there is a fair bit of flex and slop in the mechanism. But it does the job.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 8:29 AM, JohnG said:

I’ve been on the verge of buying one for several years, but when I would be about to submit the order I’d back out, doubting what I’d use it for. 

I'm in a similar state and welcome you sharing your experiences. Congrats on the purchase.

• Like 1