What came in the mail today?

I think so, 2 of mine have the larger diameter lead, both have a sharpener built in, one has white “lead” it’s pretty soft but works well with dark wood, the third is 9 mm I think, great for fine marking but not as fine as a marking knife of course 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 2:49 PM, Chestnut said:

I got screwed!

Have you used the screws from CS Hardware? I'd love to know how McFeely's compares. I've only ordered from CS Hardware because they're typically much cheaper than McFeely's and way better than what you can typically buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Have you used the screws from CS Hardware? I'd love to know how McFeely's compares. I've only ordered from CS Hardware because they're typically much cheaper than McFeely's and way better than what you can typically buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

Cheaper?? I checked CS hardware and they were like 2-4x more expensive. I guess i never clicked on the screws to see the discount if you order 1,000 oopps, mistake on their part. After seeing that they have a 1,000 piece discount price is maybe a bit more on McFeely's but they have what I was looking for. So yeaha i probably overpaid by $0.01- $0.02 per screw on the longer #8s.

I wanted to change all of my screws over to #2 combination drive so I could use phillips or square depending on the tool in my hand (power driver, or screw driver) I don't have #2 square driver sitting around like I do the 8 in 1 screw driver tools I like.

CS hardware's selection of #6 has 5/8" and 1_1/4" I bought 1,000 1/2" #6 and 3/4" #6. I've found that 5/8" is a bit too long for some applications but too short for others. It also isn't clear if the driver is #1 or #2 combination.

I also bought some #8s 3/4" 1" and 1_1/4" but CS doesn't have anything shorter than 1" in #8 combo, 1" screws are a bit too long to use with the figure 8s i buy where a 3/4" is perfect.

... So maybe i did get screwed?

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2024 at 1:22 PM, Chestnut said:

Cheaper?? I checked CS hardware and they were like 2-4x more expensive. I guess i never clicked on the screws to see the discount if you order 1,000 oopps, mistake on their part. After seeing that they have a 1,000 piece discount price is maybe a bit more on McFeely's but they have what I was looking for. So yeaha i probably overpaid by $0.01- $0.02 per screw on the longer #8s.

I wanted to change all of my screws over to #2 combination drive so I could use phillips or square depending on the tool in my hand (power driver, or screw driver) I don't have #2 square driver sitting around like I do the 8 in 1 screw driver tools I like.

CS hardware's selection of #6 has 5/8" and 1_1/4" I bought 1,000 1/2" #6 and 3/4" #6. I've found that 5/8" is a bit too long for some applications but too short for others. It also isn't clear if the driver is #1 or #2 combination.

I also bought some #8s 3/4" 1" and 1_1/4" but CS doesn't have anything shorter than 1" in #8 combo, 1" screws are a bit too long to use with the figure 8s i buy where a 3/4" is perfect.

... So maybe i did get screwed?

That's funny. I just looked at my order from September and I picked up #6 1/2" and 1_1/4" but they didn't have 5/8" and some of the other sizes. 

I'm probably done buying 1,000 screws for a while so maybe I will check out McFeely's next time.

I should have switched to combination. I think my first big order that I split with my dad he wanted Philips. Their Philips head seem to do a heck of a lot better than the Everbuilt from Home Depot so they work.

11 minutes ago, legenddc said:

That's funny. I just looked at my order from September and I picked up #6 1/2" and 1_1/4" but they didn't have 5/8" and some of the other sizes. 

I'm probably done buying 1,000 screws for a while so maybe I will check out McFeely's next time.

I should have switched to combination. I think my first big order that I split with my dad he wanted Philips. Their Philips head seem to do a heck of a lot better than the Everbuilt from Home Depot so they work.

Yes their heads seem way better. I guess even if I could have saved some with CS Hardware it still beats the $0.10 per screw at the hardware stores for garbage screws.

I haven't tried any of the new screws out yet. They are still on my bench in a pile. I'd be awesome to have some CS and Mcfeely screws side by side, see what the differences are.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 2:05 PM, Chestnut said:

Yes their heads seem way better. I guess even if I could have saved some with CS Hardware it still beats the $0.10 per screw at the hardware stores for garbage screws.

I haven't tried any of the new screws out yet. They are still on my bench in a pile. I'd be awesome to have some CS and Mcfeely screws side by side, see what the differences are.

I'll try to remember to look and see what CSH screws I have. If there's any overlap I'll pull some and can ship them to you.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:05 PM, Chestnut said:

Yes their heads seem way better. 

I haven't tried any of the new screws out yet. 

Guess I'm getting schooled again. I went on their website and checked stuff out.

1) Is the combo head able to take either a Phillips OR square drive screwdriver?

2) Did you order right from McFeely's website? Thanks!

12 hours ago, roughsawn said:

Guess I'm getting schooled again. I went on their website and checked stuff out.

1) Is the combo head able to take either a Phillips OR square drive screwdriver?

2) Did you order right from McFeely's website? Thanks!

1) Yes there are 2 options #1 and #2. The #1 option uses a #1 phillips and #1 square bit these are less common bits and screws typically the smaller sizes.

2) Yes i ordered off their website. Shipping was pretty quick. I'd check CS Hardware for the sizes your looking at to make sure the sizes aren't cheaper there.

• Like 2