What came in the mail today?

On 10/26/2023 at 7:44 PM, treeslayer said:

Looks great @D W C, I wish I had room for a bench, going to do a journal I hope

Well... I already started it this summer. Long story but these very large white oak beams i bought to make this bench out of... Didn't work out so well. 

So I've been acquiring 8/4 Maple for the top, and the beams should be fine for the base. 

So yes, I'll be resurrecting this stalled project in the near future, as soon as i finish with my current project. 

But with that said, I'm VERY excited to get going on this again. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 9:15 PM, pkinneb said:

Is there a Roubo in your future? If so you won't regret it!

Yes there is!

I keep waffling on whether or not to make it a split top, or not. I like the idea of just a large, uninterrupted bench top. My current bench has a very shallow tool tray in the slab and i always regretted putting it in there. 

But the split top appears to make the build a little more manageable too, esp for someone at my skill level. I Haven't made a firm decision there yet. 

I'm going to purchase the Roubo project f the Wood Whisperer Guild as that seems to be a no brainer. I am planning to use the knock down hardware that came in the kit. I realize that the WWG project plan doesn't use the knock down hardware but i still think it'll be a worthwhile investment in the videos. 

On 10/27/2023 at 6:51 AM, Chestnut said:

Make the split top and have the center just be a removable slab instead of a tool well or trey. I use the split top part of my bench occasionally enough to appreciate it.

Thanks @Chestnut that is in the plans. I am leaning towards the split top for a few reasons, the biggest of which is that it will be a much more manageable build - those smaller halves will work better with my tooling and be easier for me to handle. 

So that's most likely the way i will go. 

Let me ask you this. 

Do you use the split top as a planing stop ever? Or how do you end up using that function the most? 

On 10/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, gee-dub said:

You're in trouble for using your tablesaw as a work surface.  What's wrong-wit-choo!?! . . . :D

Guilty as charged! My shop is a complete disaster right now as i attempted to rearrange everything, decided i didn't like it, and am now putting it all back. I think the scientific term is SNAFU?

:)

On 10/27/2023 at 1:13 PM, pkinneb said:

I would second this! I also agree with you @D W C that it makes the build much more manageable especially id your using power tools on the slabs. I look forward to seeing your bench come together!

I suppose most of us face this same situation, but i am all by my lonesome out there and need to take that into account when planning to make something as big and bulky as this benchtop is going to be. Plus i have a 6" 120v jointer and a 12.5" planer, so... Yeah. I think the decision has pretty much been made to go split top. 

On 10/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, gee-dub said:

Your terminology is correct :). I meant that to be funny. Glad it came across that way.

Oh i read ya loud and clear! 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, Chestnut said:

I don't use it as a plane stop. I have an accessory i made from some wood and dowels for a plane stop. I don't like planing into the bench and prefer to plane along the bench.

I use it more for clamping. Having the split on the ends that overhang past the base allows me to get clamps in towards the middle of the bench. Most often it's a quick clamp. I some times use it to clamp objects to the front face of the bench.

The split at the ends is also nice for power cords at times. I use the split to wrangle them so they aren't in my way. If i remember I'll post a couple pictures later to help explain i just can't find good ones.

Thanks @Chestnut!! Great info, thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 5:27 PM, gee-dub said:

Forgot to post this a few days ago.  These units have been discontinued and I got it at a clearance price.

AmbientJet.thumb.jpg.e52ce291c83e0d3ec766062aaf2f54b2.jpg

It is similar in specs but not quality to the JDS from ~2005 that hangs on the opposite wall firing the opposite direction.

AmbientJDS.thumb.jpg.8df4b48fb517de499d22ca8d6f52ada7.jpg

Having a second ambient cleaner was part of the original shop plan.  I am glad to have been able to see it through.

Nice! While working our guild show a couple weeks back I was trying to figure out what this large box was at the Jet Tool booth come to find out its there new air unit. Talk about BIG it was like twice as thick as my JDS units I'm like you better have a high ceiling if you go with those.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 5:27 PM, gee-dub said:

Forgot to post this a few days ago.  These units have been discontinued and I got it at a clearance price.

AmbientJet.thumb.jpg.e52ce291c83e0d3ec766062aaf2f54b2.jpg

It is similar in specs but not quality to the JDS from ~2005 that hangs on the opposite wall firing the opposite direction.

AmbientJDS.thumb.jpg.8df4b48fb517de499d22ca8d6f52ada7.jpg

Having a second ambient cleaner was part of the original shop plan.  I am glad to have been able to see it through.

Nice score!

I was in a Rockler store yesterday and noticed that the new jet units look quite s bit different now. I just glanced at them but the outer shell is now plastic or something close to it.

Always nice when that happens and stores sell the previous version at a healthy discount! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...