What came in the mail today?

30 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I came across this "used like new" PC pin nailer:

The problem is I don't actually own an air compressor.... So I'm looking for a quiet one, a compact unit that doesn't break the bank. I don't intend to use it for spray painting, just for this nailer and maybe a 18ga one. I'm open to suggestions about the compressor.

In the meantime I'll borrow my BIL's compressor to test my new acquisition.

I have nothing but good things to say about California Air. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Those California air compressors look like the gold standard. 

Unfortunately they don't seem to have 220v versions of their small compressors. Also the shipping costs to Argentina are prohibitive.

So I had to settle for less and picked a 2 gallon generic Chinese unit offered under a completely unknown brand. Local dentists seem to like it though.

20230324_120822.thumb.jpg.c5ac8ac9ce75812aed98e256072cec5a.jpg

So far I'm loving it. It's very quiet and feels solid. But time will tell.

I’m willing to bet those guts are the same as my CA. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Von said:

Serious question: assuming I like this new sanding station, will I ever use my belt sander again? Between this, my thickness planer, and an ROS, I'm having a hard time thinking of when I'd reach for my belt sander.

I RARELY use my belt sander. There were a few times I came close to purchasing an 80" edge sander, but still use a trim router to edge-trim inset doors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Von said:

Serious question: assuming I like this new sanding station, will I ever use my belt sander again? Between this, my thickness planer, and an ROS, I'm having a hard time thinking of when I'd reach for my belt sander.

I have that Ridgid sander as well and I like it a lot. But I still use my belt sander because I can put it in its jig and load it with a different grit than the Ridgid. Makes it more convenient when I've got lots of linear sanding to do.

• Like 1

I've got an old HF belt sander next to my ridgid oscillating. Generally I'll use the bigger sander for hogging off material and then smooth it on the smaller one. I'll also used the bigger one to reshape badly-damaged plane irons or chisels since it's got a heavier platten.

Edit: benchtop belt sander specifically. I have a handheld belt sander in a box somewhere I bought for stripping paint off a wall, and haven't used since that project.

• Like 1