What came in the mail today?

On 12/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, JohnG said:

I just use the drill when I don’t want to carry both. If I’m already drilling, the impact isn’t typically needed. 

I'm the other way. I'll default to the impact as driving a screw with a drill-driver is far more annoying than drilling a hole with an impact, or at least the impacts I've used.

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

I'm the other way. I'll default to the impact as driving a screw with a drill-driver is far more annoying than drilling a hole with an impact, or at least the impacts I've used.

See this i don't get care to try and explain?

I'm probably weird in that i have my vix bit in my impact and the screw bit in my drill well installation tool. That m12 installers tool is awesome.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of that 12v Milwaukee stuff in the mechanic shop and really like every piece of it.  The impact driver is probably the most used tool.  It runs nuts on and off, and machine screws in and out too.  It's really light, comfortable, and powerful.  I'll break something loose with a wrench, and then spin it off with the impact driver.

Most of my carpentry stuff is Makita.  I bought a different brand because I didn't want greasy hands in a house and knew otherwise they would get mixed up.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:03 PM, Chestnut said:

See this i don't get care to try and explain?

I'm probably weird in that i have my vix bit in my impact and the screw bit in my drill well installation tool. That m12 installers tool is awesome.

My vix bits all have round shafts, so they don't really work with my impact driver (and I'm not going to mess around with a jawed chuck adapter for the impact).

Aside from that I'm not sure what there is to explain? I've got a set of impact-rated drillbits (dewalt) that I find it easier to pop in an out of the impact for drilling simple holes (like for drywall anchors in the house, shelving in the tool shed, pilot holes for a hose reel, etc) versus lugging around both the drill-driver and impact-driver. I'm not using them for fine woodworking or heavy stuff like masonry, but anything short of a big lagscrew/bolt hole it's just as easy to drill with the impact.

The biggest stuff I've drilled with it was an impact-rated spadebit while doing electrical work, where again I preferred having one tool on my belt while up a ladder boring out cable runs than having separate drill and driver. The impact is so much more compact (though they've gotten a lot smaller than my decade old Makita) and better for driving screws, particularly at odd angles where you can't put your weight behind the driver. Plus there's less risk of torquing your wrist.

I also have the installers kit, and can choose either jaws or hex lock. Having attempted both drill and impact for driving holes in production settings, I will never drill with an impact at home. Too many broken bits (including impact rated,) too many wandering and oblong holes etc. It is possible that attempts for speed mean that binding was not well accounted for, but we never had those issues with non-impact. 

I have never drilled a hole with an impact driver.  I've done a LOT of carpentry.

I used to install screws with a drill, but haven't since buying the first impact driver. 

Impact drivers have ruined exposed fastener roofs.  I could make a living fixing leaking roofs put on by people who aren't particular with an impact driver in their hand.

14 hours ago, BonPacific said:

one tool on my belt

So nothing to do with the impact and solely is just the 1/4" hex chuck and small size. I get that. That's why i got the M12 Installers tool.

11 hours ago, legenddc said:

I found it. Acme Tools has it. You can get the battery, light or a multi-tool. 

Not sure if you were asking me but this is the kit i got. I'm 99% sure the sale ends today.

https://www.acmetools.com/m12-fuel-2-tool-combo-kit-3497-22/045242637331.html

• Like 1

The driver I use has 3 speed ranges. In conjuction with the variable trigger, I find it pretty simple to control the driving depth, as well as the torque level to activate the impact action. When hex-shanked drills are handy, I find the single tool to be very useful.

I wouldn't want to drill anything bigger than screw pilots, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a Harvey Compass miter gauge. Love my Incra 1000HD, but wanted a second gauge for different setups and wanted to give the Harvey a try. I haven’t loved my Incra 5000, it works well but is huge and is annoying to put on/take off for a couple cuts. For bigger batch work it probably shines. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...