What came in the mail today?

We expanded our flock of chickens from 3 to 15 and needed a bigger coop to accommodate that. I was going to make it but simply don’t have the time so we ordered one. It was delivered yesterday but of course last week a fox killed most of our chickens so it’ll be a bit before we’ll have it filled up.

We've had a Fox problem before, too.  One dug down about a foot to get under the wire buried that deep around the pen.  I put 18" square pavers all around the outside, so one will have to dig a tunnel to get in now, and haven't had a problem since then.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, Tom King said:

We've had a Fox problem before, too.  One dug down about a foot to get under the wire buried that deep around the pen.  I put 18" square pavers all around the outside, so one will have to dig a tunnel to get in now, and haven't had a problem since then.

We are going to put in a wire mesh floor 2-3’ around the outside perimeter of the run, that will fold up and tie into the fence so they can’t go under the fence and would have to tunnel a good way to get in. Also putting up a low electric fence line (all except the area where we take the kids to bring food scraps to the chickens). Determined not to lose any more to the foxes!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This 1/4" plywood is growing on me. It's honestly a bad product, doesn't stay flat well, internal plys are inconsistent, but it's cheap at $20. If using ply where quality didn't matter and i can hold it flat this fits the bill. It's befits are how thin and light it is as well as cost. It used to be$15 a sheet but what do you do?

0611220821a.thumb.jpg.d61840acbd369167bb534e1891aa6b5e.jpg

• Like 1

@Chestnut, I find that the 1/4" luan stuff sold as flooring underlayment at the home centers  is a far better quality material tthan the hardwood ply from the same source. Works well so ling as  you don't need a 'show' face of a particular species.

Of course, you probably have a better local source for ply than I do, anyway.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 8:31 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut, I find that the 1/4" luan stuff sold as flooring underlayment at the home centers  is a far better quality material tthan the hardwood ply from the same source. Works well so ling as  you don't need a 'show' face of a particular species.

Of course, you probably have a better local source for ply than I do, anyway.

It is in that luan category but the store doesn't recomend this as an underlay material. I'd bet that it's the same stuff you can get. The quality isn't great really. I got turned on to it by theater set makers for being cheap, light weight, and takes paint well.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:48 PM, JohnG said:

F5618F2E-99E0-4FB4-B18C-99E9D3A0AAFC.thumb.jpeg.a7073b565baefda973e43f8ebda36281.jpeg

This followed me home today. The unit fits in the trunk of a Tesla model 3, but the box will not! As a bonus I don’t have to get rid of the box and styrofoam!

Very Nice machine! if you got the in and out feed tables, take your time setting them up, they are a bit of a pain to dial in

• Like 1