What came in the mail today?

On 4/8/2022 at 4:09 PM, JohnG said:

I’m curious to find out if burning wood in our water stove affects our indoor air quality, and how much it lingers around the house. Though maybe I don’t want to know…

That could be the problem with these...

I'm hoping I can use it to help monitor if/when my daughter's dust-related allergies are going to kick in. Guess I'll have one more thing to pack for trips if we're able to use it as a warning sign.

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The science background of me agrees with that statement. However there are so many sources of people saying that gas ranges and ovens release airborne particles that aren't healthy and we should do away with gas ranges and ovens.

Instead of just taking either side for it's word I did an experiment. Now I'll tell gas stove haters to take a hike.

The vaporised oils and grease from the cooking dont do you any good as well as the CO2 buildup. Anyhow theres always trace pollutants in gas that burn and make noxious traces. Thing is most of its in gaseous form and not particulate.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-sct.html

I've been wanting one of these for a while, but never bad enough to pay their regular price.  With two mobile carts to build out of old rusty, but free heavy angle irons, and the SCT being on sale, I couldn't resist.

It makes pretty work out of cleaning up old metal.  I intend to use it for weathering new wood to make it look like old also.  I've done that numerous times before with wire wheels on a 4-1/2" grinder, but this will be a Lot faster.

I took some pictures with the phone, but they're slow going to computer.

• Like 1

I'm finished buying HF power tools.  Amazon sells some cheaper Chinese ones, but Eastwood is a company that I like what other things I've bought from them, over the years.  It's Chinese too, but runs smoothly, so they probably had it made to their specifications.  It's gotten good youtube reviews from car guys.

Metabo makes a really nice one, but I won't use it enough to be worth the difference.  This one was 169 when I ordered it.  I've been looking for a couple of years, but never caught it on sale before.  Free shipping too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Not all came today but I got to open these because birthday. Lee valley jig. It's going to be nice because it works for skew angles, something side clamps don't do.

DSC_6569-01.thumb.jpeg.e92bb72bf363c88f158a42876ee5d6bd.jpeg

Got some 2 sided tape and sound deadeing mat to make a headliner for the jeep hard top.

DSC_6567-01.thumb.jpeg.2e49a9e7ac822016b4ab87742666e057.jpeg

Saving the best for last....DSC_6568-01.thumb.jpeg.7210b838ec54c022a728b48218f06176.jpeg

Blue Spruce bevel gauge. I've been wating the end locking gauges for a while, figured i'd put some tools like this on my gift list as they are as nice to give as they are to recieve. Maybe not pay for though.

Are you using the lee valley for plane planes or chisels?  I tried one but the chisel I had would move in the guide and I was not sure if it was too small or I was doing something wrong. Love the bevel gauge!!!

2 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Fret saw

Looks great!  I have been kicking around getting a coping or fret saw. Do you like the smaller blades of the fret for the DT?  I did not know a lot about the difference and was worried you could not get the blade tension as tight on a fret but it looks just like the coping in terms of strength and stability. 

On 4/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, Chestnut said:

Not all came today but I got to open these because birthday. Lee valley jig. It's going to be nice because it works for skew angles, something side clamps don't do.

DSC_6569-01.thumb.jpeg.e92bb72bf363c88f158a42876ee5d6bd.jpeg

Got some 2 sided tape and sound deadeing mat to make a headliner for the jeep hard top.

DSC_6567-01.thumb.jpeg.2e49a9e7ac822016b4ab87742666e057.jpeg

Saving the best for last....DSC_6568-01.thumb.jpeg.7210b838ec54c022a728b48218f06176.jpeg

Blue Spruce bevel gauge. I've been wating the end locking gauges for a while, figured i'd put some tools like this on my gift list as they are as nice to give as they are to recieve. Maybe not pay for though.

Nice birthday gifts.  I have a set of the Blue Spruce butt chisels and love them

On 4/15/2022 at 7:10 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Are you using the lee valley for plane planes or chisels?

WIll be using it for both. Mine came with a little adhesive pad that is supposed to increase the jig's grip. I might give it a try with out and then attach it if things move. You can kind of see the pad in the picture where the iron would be held.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I got an inexpensive Shinwa model not too long ago, and the end-lock is defintely the way to go.

I was goign to go inexpensive but I've gotten a lot of requests for gift ideas so i figured I'd just throw out some ideas that were a bit nicer. Some of these boutique tools are as interesting to non-woodworkers as they are to us. My little LN violin makes plane is a hit. People think it's a toy or for show till i show them it makes shavings.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Is that a coping saw or a fret saw 

It's actually a Jewelers saw.  A coping saw is a carpentry tool for molding coping, and a fret saw is for instrument making that is pretty deep from the blade to the back.  

https://contenti.com/german-jeweler-s-saw-frames

You can get a lot of tension on the blade with a jewelers saw.  Set it to the length you need and fasten one end of the blade.  Put the end of the saw against the side of the bench, push the handle with your chest protected by a block of wood, and tighten the other blade holder.  You can pluck a pretty high note with the blade when tightened like that.

This is a Fret saw:   https://www.amazon.com/Olson-SF63507-Fret-Flat-Frame/dp/B00MNF36Z6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fret+saw&qid=1650302318&sr=8-3

• Like 1

The only thing that came today was a sawblade that I ordered a couple of weeks ago on April 4th.  Amazon said it was lost, so I had ordered another brand.  I bought a cheap Chinese wet masonry saw to cut the concrete floor where we decided to put a shower in the little brick bathroom house on our point.  That job has been held up waiting on this sawblade.

The other one is supposed to get here tomorrow, so I'll have an unintended spare.  As soon as I sent one back, I'd need another one.

IMG_3895.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Looks great!  I have been kicking around getting a coping or fret saw. Do you like the smaller blades of the fret for the DT?  I did not know a lot about the difference and was worried you could not get the blade tension as tight on a fret but it looks just like the coping in terms of strength and stability. 

For dovetails I much prefer the smaller size in both saw and blades of a fret saw.