What came in the mail today?

• 2 weeks later...

Love that you bought a CD. Do they still have the CD of the month mail club thing?

Recently got rid of all our CDs but have kept the movies so far. I wish I had taken our parent's albums but not enough space for them and I'm sure we'd barely use them. Still enjoy having a physical object to play music/movies on. A lot easier to find something you want instead of having to remember it all.

I cheaped out and got a Wen. I’m wondering if I’ll regret it and still end up buying a nice one, but we’ll see. At first glance it isn’t terrible. (A machinist might think otherwise, knowing what a nice Motutoyo, B&S, or Starrett is like)

On 3/15/2022 at 8:53 PM, Coop said:

I bet it works just as well. 

+1.  I have used a Harbor Freight one for a couple decades and it has always been adequate.  In machine setup we are often trying to measure the difference between two things (table and cutterhead for example) as opposed to getting an absolute measurement.  I wouldn't want to spec out engine parts with one but for aligning my tablesaw it has been fine.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 6:53 AM, legenddc said:

Love that you bought a CD. Do they still have the CD of the month mail club thing?

Recently got rid of all our CDs but have kept the movies so far. I wish I had taken our parent's albums but not enough space for them and I'm sure we'd barely use them. Still enjoy having a physical object to play music/movies on. A lot easier to find something you want instead of having to remember it all.

If only I had a time machine . . . I would have kept my L.P.'s, taken better care of my daughters Barbies, not passed on that 1955 T-bird, etc.  Having physical music media seems to be the point where I stopped :lol:.  I do full-quality copy stuff to a small hard drive to play in the shop.  I keep a few weeks worth of music on random while I'm "working".

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 7:53 AM, legenddc said:

A couple of years ago I spent days & days ripping all our CDs. Several hundred of them. We just never use them anymore & they were taking up space. They are lossless files on 2 hard drives & fully backed up on a third. Even so, they don't get played that much. It's just so much easier to stream it. For serious listening I do play the flac files.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, drzaius said:

A couple of years ago I spent days & days ripping all our CDs. Several hundred of them. We just never use them anymore & they were taking up space. They are lossless files on 2 hard drives & fully backed up on a third. Even so, they don't get played that much. It's just so much easier to stream it. For serious listening I do play the flac files.

Did that years ago with all of my movies. Now just about everything can be streamed and we rarely use it. My music was all ripped years ago and sits on the same external hard drive unused. 

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Did that years ago with all of my movies. Now just about everything can be streamed and we rarely use it. My music was all ripped years ago and sits on the same external hard drive unused. 

I stuck all my MP3s on a Cruizer Fit flash drive that gets plugged into my vehicle. I can listen to all the music i want with no adds no streaming interruptions due to lost cell service etc. I already bought the music so ads and streaming services can take a hike IMO. It also puts the song controls on the radio allwos youto search for a song etc.

If your car has a modern ish radio with a USB slot it's highly likely you'd be able to do this as well. It's worked in my vehicles back to 2012 ish.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:17 PM, Chestnut said:

I stuck all my MP3s on a Cruizer Fit flash drive that gets plugged into my vehicle. I can listen to all the music i want with no adds no streaming interruptions due to lost cell service etc. I already bought the music so ads and streaming services can take a hike IMO. It also puts the song controls on the radio allwos youto search for a song etc.

If your car has a modern ish radio with a USB slot it's highly likely you'd be able to do this as well. It's worked in my vehicles back to 2012 ish.

My car is way older than that but I have an Anker Bluetooth-FM Transmitter-Dual USB charging ports, all in one small package that plugs in the cigarette lighter socket. Pretty handy little thing. It even has a built in microphone, lets me answer phone calls hands free. I use Spotify and my favorites list is set to be available offline on my phone, so I don't need an internet connection.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I use Spotify and my favorites list is set to be available offline on my phone, so I don't need an internet connection.

Spotify is popular but for some reason i never really cared for it. I was also under the impression you couldn't use offline without the paid subscription maybe you can now? I never wanted to pay to listen to music twice, or get strong armed into ads even though i paid for the music.