What came in the mail today?

On 2/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, JohnG said:

I took today off to get a break since my busy season is winding down. I’m lucky I did because I got a surprise bandsaw delivery! No call or notice that they were coming out, just got a call when he was parked at the end of our ~600’ winding gravel driveway in a 48’ truck. Spun his tires in my field for a while trying to turn around and acted like it was my fault he tore up my grass. Typically if they are in a truck over 24’ I have them wait at the main road and unload them there. 

Net weight 441lb (gross 490 but the tractor can get it to my shop door), this should be fun by myself.

A64EC337-C7E0-4523-88FD-C22AB5254BEA.thumb.jpeg.55c5e86214b4638738336e6077b96d7c.jpeg

BF584278-BFF6-4792-A323-6731CE084B34.thumb.jpeg.b2f1fa725a53fef480fdbbce0cc2b9b6.jpeg
87D3A617-DB9E-4C70-BFA9-901FF2B45C89.thumb.jpeg.9dc0a2ad693a9c116819ddf3f5ecd2fd.jpeg

EBEA13F2-B4A3-4264-817D-A5A068D9D4E3.thumb.jpeg.62ea8790ed80d697b4a21a9f5c7fb2ae.jpeg

Nice congrats!!

On 2/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, Mark J said:

Congratulations.  

Good thing you were home, but the surprise delivery is a big demerit for Harvey's delivery company.

Yes, I can’t blame Harvey but it does sour the experience a bit. Or could have. 

On 2/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, curlyoak said:

As much as the bandsaw lights my fire, The place where you live is amazing. Must be a lot of land with your long driveway. And lots of hardwood trees.

Thanks! We like it. We are on 20ac, with a lot of farms and woods surrounding us. We do have a lot of hardwoods, and most of the pines are falling to make way for more hardwoods in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:47 AM, Chestnut said:

On their own or with assistance? That's a sweet saw you'll share your thoughts on it at some point I assume?

With the wind and rain’s assistance. I drop them if the top breaks off or if they are uprooted and leaning. 

I’ll make a thread about the bandsaw setup and then will follow up on it after it’s been in use for a while. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chet said:

I had seen the pads years ago in a woodworking magazine, I think it was one of those reader ideas.  Anyway, I went to a shoe repair shop and had a couple made, I think he used Latigo leather.  You can hit them way harder then you need to with out them marring you project piece.  I had a hard time getting the hold fast back out after my test.;)

I tested them last night and you can indeed hit them really hard and not dent the work piece. I also tested if a lighter hit would hold well, and it did the leather adds grip so i can hammer them home even less.

I did notice that the leather left some staining on the wood but that's not a bad thing. The last step is surface prep so that'd get removed at a later step anyway. The leather on these is nice and thick too.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, BonPacific said:

I'd be curious if folks who've used the slip-covers have compared to just permanently gluing some leather onto the holdfast

I thought about gluing something on but then I found this idea in a magazine and I have been happy with them.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, BonPacific said:

Do you find yourselves removing the cover for some actions?

No, not at all.

18 hours ago, BonPacific said:

I'd be curious if folks who've used the slip-covers have compared to just permanently gluing some leather onto the holdfast. Do you find yourselves removing the cover for some actions?

Saves me from having to buy glue and find leather. Neither hard but this was just easy.

No i don't plan on removing them.