What came in the mail today?

On 7/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, Mark J said:

20210730_151945.thumb.jpg.1bdf07194109dd98362c0b79852aa5b8.jpg

I've been considering making a small vacuum kiln

Caveat Emptor

Well it appears my estate sale find may not be such a find after all.  JB Industries is still alive and well so I was able to talk with someone there.  Turns out the pump is pre 1989.  No parts/rebuild kits are available and that's an awfully long time to expect the seals and gaskets to last even with light use.  To check it out would require a quart of oil and a micron vacuum guage, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  

• Sad 2

Double dang! My PMV-11 blades just got delayed again. I ordered in early February and it just goto we back to September. :wacko:

Oh, well. Guess I either have to wait or change to another vendor. I really like the PMV-11 though. I also have to admit my cryo treated A2 Hock blades are really good too. Decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, legenddc said:

Don't forget to use jack stands! 

There’s a couple sets buried back behind the buckets and all the other crap.  I’ve just shoved stuff over there since I’ve last needed to use them.   
wife actually brought up that I should build a garage with a lift, that I do a fair amount of work and could benefit.   I’m all for the luxuries- and I’ll spend myself upside down in a hobby just because it’s fun or relieves stress or whatnot- but I do this for a living, so all I can think about when thinking about adding a lift is I’m immediately 7k in the red, and I’ll need to make at least that out of it for it to have been worth it.   I probably could In short order- but for some reason it’s just unappealing to me.   Plus then I’d have all the friends and neighbors wanting to use it…. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Agrund said:

There’s a couple sets buried back behind the buckets and all the other crap.  I’ve just shoved stuff over there since I’ve last needed to use them.   
wife actually brought up that I should build a garage with a lift, that I do a fair amount of work and could benefit.   I’m all for the luxuries- and I’ll spend myself upside down in a hobby just because it’s fun or relieves stress or whatnot- but I do this for a living, so all I can think about when thinking about adding a lift is I’m immediately 7k in the red, and I’ll need to make at least that out of it for it to have been worth it.   I probably could In short order- but for some reason it’s just unappealing to me.   Plus then I’d have all the friends and neighbors wanting to use it…. 

You can get lifts cheaper than that. There are some 4 posts that are pretty affordable. I've tossed the idea around myself. But now that I'm thinking about it Banks doesn't make much for small light vehicles so maybe $7k is right for a larger pickup.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, Chestnut said:

You can get lifts cheaper than that. There are some 4 posts that are pretty affordable. I've tossed the idea around myself. But now that I'm thinking about it Banks doesn't make much for small light vehicles so maybe $7k is right for a larger pickup.

Always thought when I have a house with a garage I'd get a lift but with cars shifting to electric I'm not sure I'll need one anymore unless it's to keep a fun gas car around.

I was getting ready to build a shop, designed around a lift.  We already had a 24x40 building, that I use for mechanic work, but it's been filled with storage junk, mostly by our children, for a couple of decades.

Finally, I started cleaning that building out, and have it cleaned out, and organized, down to one corner.

I'm planning to put the lift in there, and where I was planning to build a 24' wide extension down one side for mechanic work, I'm now planning to still build that, but make it a woodworking shop.

Maybe next Spring.  I'm still working on getting the first part of that building organized.

I had dug the footings, but then my Mother had to move in with us, and that slowed everything down.  I'll have to redig those footings, because they've filled in some since I dug the trench.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, Chestnut said:

Yeah my 2500 curb weight is 7200lbs.   Can still lift on a quality 7k lift,  but if I were to do it, I’d do a 10k so I didn’t limit myself to what I could lift.  
we use rotary at work.  2 post in ground in the main shop, and 2 post above ground 10k’s  in the addition that I’m in.   Both are fine if all you’re lifting is Toyota Corollas, but I don’t trust either for hd work.    I have put my truck on my lift, but i don’t like it, usually it’s only up there as high as it needs to go for not much longer than it has to be.   
my own opinion, cheaper is ok for hobby or personal maint.   But anything more, can’t beat a Mohawk.   But you’ll pay for it too.   

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, pkinneb said:

2003 Mazda Miata turbo'd 240HP to the rear wheels vs stock 108 its a fun one. 41K miles owned since new.

468557035_2003Miata.JPG.058f90d7ffb31aff17c481ecd1cef9b2.JPG

2018 MX5

1961377285_2018MX5-2.JPG.ed6bcfb209b91a2b868a929e72ccf080.JPG

Beautiful rides! I can see me taking my wife’s goldendoodle for our daily drive in either one of those. Both being chick magnets with me completely out of the equation! 

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, Just Bob said:

I have the pattern makers vise, it is a great addition to work shop.  Which gun stock vise?  I am looking for one.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise

Watch for sales I ended up getting it for $89 after a $10 discount coupon. It was on sale for $99