What came in the mail today?

On 6/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, curlyoak said:

83078587-0270-485F-9F10-3508A41C7547.thumb.jpeg.39ae49d9e4f41d0b66ed2e550e214eb6.jpeg

Thanks Tom! Great tool. I think this will be useful. Have you created a quick way to cut the four equal pieces? I have 150 g on the yellow and I will put 100g on the green.

I just lay the block on the sheet of sandpaper, and cut it a little outside the edge with a utility knife.  If I had some special jig, it would just be something else to keep up with.  I have almost as many utility knives laying around, as pencils.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

Got two PEC seconds squares in today. Ordered a 12" combo and 6" double square. Hopefully these last longer then my Craftsman/Empire ones which are starting to slip. 

I have the same ones plus a 4” double for over 2 years now and no problem 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, Chet said:

I have 3, 4inch double squares and 1, 6 inch double square all are PEC blems.  They are all over 6 years old now and still serving me well.

Hoping they're easier for my dad's hands. If so I'll order him some and maybe a couple more for me.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, treeslayer said:

I got mine from Harry Epstein, harryepstein.com I believe, all kinds of good stuff

Same. There's a special sale once a year on GarageJournal where you can get discounts. I got the 12" combo square for $6 off. Wonder if we could set something up here or through TWWG?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really. In the end, it’s a fairly small job. If prices were back to normal I’d save a few hundred bucks, $1k max on the materials. I’m guessing we’ll finish up in the $10-15k range depending on what else I hire out. Considering that we were quoted nearly $30k for the job last fall, the difference in material cost is not a big deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Got this deep vacuum pump at an estate sale for $65.  Not sure what I have or even if it works, but new they sell for $350 to $700.

20210730_151809.thumb.jpg.a61d6e520ac1f554ca5c7f2f4e60315b.jpg

20210730_151945.thumb.jpg.1bdf07194109dd98362c0b79852aa5b8.jpg

I've been considering making a small vacuum kiln for turning blanks.  They are also used for stabilizing with Cactus Juice.

Do you have a vacuum chuck? 

Well, I couldn’t wait for help assembling it. Getting it onto the mobile base by myself was not as bad as I expected. I’m almost done assembling the main saw, but haven’t opened up the router table or fence parts. Will continue tomorrow. As many have said, the packaging and instructions are quite good. Also, definitely glad I went with the industrial mobile base. 

• Like 2