What came in the mail today?

19 hours ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Picked up a Festool track saw from recon the other day. I’ve been wanting one of these for awhile. Contemplated the cordless one, but decided I don’t really want another set of batteries and chargers in the shop and liked the price tag on this one. Excited to put it to use.10BEC053-4380-4CCB-9E6D-1B67EC2B4C11.thumb.jpeg.8a7e05c928fd5dd3364e29e2df4052a4.jpeg

im sure you’ll love it. Had mine for several years and had zero complaints.  Coincidentally enough I just sold it after I I bought the cordless version on the refurb site a few weeks ago

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chet said:

I know you have the small one.  What kind of projects you got coming that has you buying the big boy?

I have a lot of cabinets in my near future and I wanted to be able to quickly make deeper mortises for the doors. I've always been eyeing it just to see how it compares to the DF500 but never really had a good reason to pull the trigger, so i invented one... I'll likely sell one or the other at the end of the year because i don't need both.

12 hours ago, jussi said:

Great score on the XL.  I love mine.  You must have been quick. Dominos go super fast on the recon site

I think i just got lucky, I rarely check the recon site. When ever i do check the site it only has a CT 48 and drywall sander or edge bander for sale...

I have both. I use the smaller one the most. I have used the big one for full size doors. The small one does cabinet doors among other things. I like them both. I would like to see some American competition on some of the festools. The price they charge leaves room for competition.

I’m not aware of any handheld power tools being made in the USA. It’s unlikely that a company would be able to do that and stay competitively priced, especially for a more niche product like the Domino (not to mention the patent issues). There just aren’t enough people willing to pay the premium for USA made products for a company to justify investing tens or probably hundreds of millions of dollars into the necessary manufacturing facility. 

I did see that Festool is making some guide rails in the USA and plans to make some other products here as well, but the actual power tools probably won’t be made here for a very long time, if ever. 

DeWalt makes some of their tools here but with global parts. Probably the best you could hope for these days. Milwaukee/Ryobi are owned by a company based in Hong Kong.

Once I can get these home renovations done some Festool stuff will be on my radar. Thinking a sander and/or domino.

I'll echo the post on keeping both Dominos.  Unless I was really strapped for cash I wouldn't sell either.  They both have their places in how I like to work.   I almost always use the smaller one if I can.  Especially if it's a small piece.  Just so much easier to balance.  But obviously for larger pieces or when you need a larger depth of cut, the XL is king.  That said, if you're fairly certain you want to sell it, now would be the most opportune time given the shortage of supply.  I've seen more than a couple used Festools listed for more than retail.  

On 3/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, Chestnut said:

Can you answer me this question. If the vac is set to auto and I'm using a corded tool are there steps to take to turn on the vac with the bluetooth button?

Another thing I found out is that you have to pair the battery with vac every time you unplug either the vac or battery.  Not a big deal since once you do it's paired until you need to recharge the battery.  The remote on the other seems to be always paired.

7 hours ago, JohnG said:

5 gallons of anchorseal. Need to go pick up a sycamore tree trunk my neighbor cut down. It’s smaller- maybe 16-18” diameter 6-7’ long, then another 5-6’ that tapers down.

Neighbor wants one slab and the rest is for me. 

Are you going to have it qtr sawn?