What came in the mail today?

11 hours ago, Coop said:

What is MASW and what will you be making? Is this an online class? 

@Chet is correct on MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking) I am taking the Michael Fortune #1 chair class its a two week course one week in June and one week in Sept. Lots of curves, forms, bending :) 

Image result for micheal fortune #1 chair

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jussi said:

BT module for vac. I can finally use the auto on feature of the vac with my cordless tools. Felt like a caveman having to turn the switch on and off by hand. Lol

Can you answer me this question. If the vac is set to auto and I'm using a corded tool are there steps to take to turn on the vac with the bluetooth button?

Forgive me if I misunderstood the question but do you mean if a tool that is NOT plugged into the vac?  If so, yes, this unit comes with a remote that attaches to the hose end.  
The ideal situation however is to use it with BT batteries. 

If the tool IS attached to the vac then there is no reason to use the BT. 

2 hours ago, jussi said:

Forgive me if I misunderstood the question but do you mean if a tool that is NOT plugged into the vac?  If so, yes, this unit comes with a remote that attaches to the hose end.  
The ideal situation however is to use it with BT batteries. 

If the tool IS attached to the vac then there is no reason to use the BT. 

It isn't clear through the instructions and manual how it works with the power plug on the unit. I don't want to have to go all bluetooth esentially. Can i shut off the sander disconnect the hose and then hit the bluetooth button or are there steps to switch over?

I honestly find myself running my sander with the hose disconnected because i'm too lazy to bend over and turn the dial. Yes that sound aweful.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It isn't clear through the instructions and manual how it works with the power plug on the unit. I don't want to have to go all bluetooth esentially. Can i shut off the sander disconnect the hose and then hit the bluetooth button or are there steps to switch over?

I honestly find myself running my sander with the hose disconnected because i'm too lazy to bend over and turn the dial. Yes that sound aweful.

I was pretty sure of the answer but didn’t want to reply until I tested it out.  There is no need to do anything to use the bt switch with a corded cool attached. I was just sanding some ply with the rotex connected. Turned the sander off and then turned the vac on then off with bt 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jussi said:

I was pretty sure of the answer but didn’t want to reply until I tested it out.  There is no need to do anything to use the bt switch with a corded cool attached. I was just sanding some ply with the rotex connected. Turned the sander off and then turned the vac on then off with bt 

That's great. I think i'm going to add this to my wish list.

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I received my Blue Spruce sliding bevel gauges today

61.jpg.20c9a0a2bba6a1e1250ce9016a41d2e6.jpg

Mine are several years old and maybe they have made changes but the wing nut is wider than the width of the tool itself which makes adjustments necessary, depending on the angle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jussi said:

Wow those are gorgeous.  Look as nice as vesper gauge. 

jussi one of the reasons I got this set is becuase I wanted a 3" and Vesper has been out of stock for many months with no restock  expected anytime soon. I have a Vesper 6" and will tell you it is flawless, a real piece of art. These are very high quality but together were still cheaper then my Vesper. I would say they are high quality but the Vesper is higher. Ultimately they both perform functionally the same but I would still give the Vesper the higher overall ratings but again at over double the cost.

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Mine are several years old and maybe they have made changes but the wing nut is wider than the width of the tool itself which makes adjustments necessary, depending on the angle. 

Yep that's the problem I had with the 3" I purchased at Lee Valley the wing nut always got in the way. Blue Spruce put these on sales so I ordered a set. They are very nice and the knob on the end works wonders compared to the wing nut.

10 hours ago, Immortan D said:

If one has to choose function over form, the Starrett 47 universal bevel beats them all. I have one, it's a great little tool.

s47.JPG.dfa7111b888b8bb23977e31777f62afa.JPG

I agree this is better then a wing nut but not as good as having the knob on the end. Ultimately all first world issues but still :)

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Sounds like you have some unnecessary duplicates.... if you need my address for where to dispose of those nasty unmatching duplicates let me know... :D

LOL I actually planed on selling the Vesper but I just can't bring myself to do it :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I agree this is better then a wing nut but not as good as having the knob on the end. Ultimately all first world issues but still :)

Yeah, I like the knob on the end better, I have a vintage Disston bevel gauge with that feature and works great. The problem is that the thing is huge when compared to the Starrett.

The main advantage of the Starrett one is that you can slide the blade on the stock. That's very useful in certain situations. I even used it for dovetail marking until I made my markers.

• Like 1