What came in the mail today?

23 hours ago, Mick S said:

My plan is to put them back to back so that I can slide the carriage back to access the router table on the right end of the SS.

My plan is to put them back to back so that I can slide the carriage back to access the router table on the right end of the SS.

It's contagious!

On 10/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, pkinneb said:

Got my ISOtunes bluetooth earmuffs. Probably won't use them in the shop but for yardwork they will be great tried them out with the blower today and they work well.

ISOtunes.jpg.8053d56dd743f5b48d60d4090b20a11f.jpg

So that was my Christmas gift to myself and they came in the mail just last week.  I think they're decent.   The sound quality is good enough.   They're rugged and fairly comfortable.   I'm glad they are making a muff, as I really don't like sticking things in my ears.

I may end up buying a pair for doing yardwork.   Or maybe I'll get some 3M worktunes to see how they compare.

• Like 2

John, I have wanted to do this for years but was afraid they wouldn’t “stay in my yard” and sting a neighbors kid. Recently I was assured by someone familiar with bee keeping that was not a concern. What does your hive kit consist of? 

58 minutes ago, Coop said:

John, I have wanted to do this for years but was afraid they wouldn’t “stay in my yard” and sting a neighbors kid. Recently I was assured by someone familiar with bee keeping that was not a concern. What does your hive kit consist of? 

Honey bees are generally very docile. If you get unlucky and have a generally mean colony, you just find and kill the queen and when they rear a new one, chances are they will be much nicer. The whole colony's disposition is dictated by the queen. Honey bees often die after stinging, so they certainly don't want to sting unless they feel that they need to.

Some people see a swarm of bees and fear that they are aggressive when they swarm, but that's the opposite of what is true. When they swarm, they don't have a home to protect so they are not aggressive at all. You can walk right through the swarm and have almost zero chance of being stung. I once walked through a swarm where they were beginning to gather on a tree branch. I grabbed the branch and shook them off of it and into a box. No veil, no gloves, no hat, etc.

Yellow jackets (which are wasps and not bees) give bees a bad reputation.

The kit she got me comes with the sides of the hive boxes and frame parts, with joinery, rabbets, and handles already cut. You just have to glue/nail them together, install the "foundation" (which is a base layer of wax that the bees build the comb on, paint, and then add bees. If I add more colonies down the road, I'll hope to make them. It's pretty simple construction, but not something I currently have time for.

I have a small horse watering trough  with an old hand water pump as a fish pond that we have water lilies in. This past summer, there have been no less than a dozen bees on the lilies, drinking. The bee friend suggests that there is probably a hive close bye and that I will probably get all the cross pollination that I need for my vegetable garden. It would still be neat to have a hive! 

Hi JohnG,  looking forward to a beekeeping thread!  I started beekeeping a couple of years ago and the whole family is really getting into it now.  I built most of my woodenware, it probably costs me more but allows me to hang out in the shop woodworking with my kids more too.  There's no end of learning in either woodworking or beekeeping, they both can provide a bit of income to (partially) offset their expenses and for me in Canada, they are both seasonal, wood in the winter, bees in the summer.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, RJS said:

Hi JohnG,  looking forward to a beekeeping thread!  I started beekeeping a couple of years ago and the whole family is really getting into it now.  I built most of my woodenware, it probably costs me more but allows me to hang out in the shop woodworking with my kids more too.  There's no end of learning in either woodworking or beekeeping, they both can provide a bit of income to (partially) offset their expenses and for me in Canada, they are both seasonal, wood in the winter, bees in the summer.

Awesome! I might build future hive boxes and frames, but it’s not at the top of the list for shop time right now. 

2 hours ago, Chet said:

We tried two top review brands and were real disappointed with how fast they degraded for the price paid.  We went with one in the same price range, I think just a touch over $150, as your new one and it has already given us half the service life as the ones we paid 5X the price.

It's replacing a 25 year old Kenmore, which is still working. It just developed a really loud squeal which was loud even through hearing protection. Bags were also getting harder to find for the Kenmore or more expensive at least. 3 bags are $10 for the Kenmore where the oreck is $15 for 25. Though at the rate the bags fill I'd have to live to be 150 to make up the difference of the vacuum cost....

3 hours ago, Chet said:

We tried two top review brands and were real disappointed with how fast they degraded for the price paid.  We went with one in the same price range, I think just a touch over $150, as your new one and it has already given us half the service life as the ones we paid 5X the price.

I've been happy with my Dysons.   I still have the DC07 I bought back in 2004, and the only thing I've had to do is replace a belt and take the canister apart and clean it really well.   We like the bagless because we have pets.   But if you don't fill the bags up regularly with fur, I'd prefer a bag.

I don't know if the new Dysons are quite as well made as they used to be.   But the new cordless vacs intrigue me.   Thought they might be nice for cleaning the staircase and our main level which is mostly hardwood floors.   Haven't bought one yet, maybe in a year or two.   We'll see.

• Like 1