What came in the mail today?

1 hour ago, jussi said:

Great for quick cuts but a little bit harder to be precise

Oscillating tools are not precision instruments. Not in the hack'n'slash category of a sawzall, but not like a router or table saw. Using a guide block to keep the blade parallel & on the mark helps a lot.

My personal feeling about them is that they should be way, way down on the priority list for tools to buy. This is coming from a guy who paid over $400 for a Fein Multimaster. In the 10 years or so that I've had it, it probably doesn't have more than about 20 hours on it. There are few tasks that require an oscillating tool, most of what I see people using them for are much better done with other tools. But when you need it, you need it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Oscillating tools are not precision instruments. Not in the hack'n'slash category of a sawzall, but not like a router or table saw. Using a guide block to keep the blade parallel & on the mark helps a lot.

My personal feeling about them is that they should be way, way down on the priority list for tools to buy. This is coming from a guy who paid over $400 for a Fein Multimaster. In the 10 years or so that I've had it, it probably doesn't have more than about 20 hours on it. There are few tasks that require an oscillating tool, most of what I see people using them for are much better done with other tools. But when you need it, you need it.

I don’t use it for fine woodworking. But even making openings for outlets is a little more difficult so far. It’s a little more jumpy when you do the initial cut at least compared to my Vecturo.  But it does make the cut a lot quicker. I should note the wall was plywood not drywall. 

What I wish would go fully Torx are set screws.  Torx drivers are so much easier to seat than an allen wrench and it's universal, no metric and imperial to keep sorting out.  And the dad-blame set screws are allways underneath something in a deep dark corner.  

24 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I found mine to be invaluable for cutting into a hardwood floor in order to re-fit an in-floor receptacle cover to be flush, instead of proud. Aside from that, almost nothing I have done with it couldn't be done as well some other way.

Ya, unless you want to get a jamb saw, an oscillating tool is the way to go. that's why I got mine initially.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark J said:

That box is so secret, I bet even you don't know what's inside. :ph34r:

I do know, and it’s not actually a christmas present! There’s also someone else on this forum that knows, and it’s not something they sent me...

a closer peek-

D93CF5F8-8C3F-4C5C-B524-0E486DC0C020.thumb.jpeg.a7aa0fb83170165fb404374779ca1f39.jpeg