What came in the mail today?

3 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Curbless and handicapped require space;)

Here in the US, for sure. But I once stayed in an Italian hotel where the bath was about 6' x 6', entirely tiled (even the ceiling), with a floor drain and no shower curtain. Topped off with a 220 volt hair drier hard-wired to the wall.

Nothing at all scary about that, right??? :o

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Here in the US, for sure. But I once stayed in an Italian hotel where the bath was about 6' x 6', entirely tiled (even the ceiling), with a floor drain and no shower curtain. Topped off with a 220 volt hair drier hard-wired to the wall.

Nothing at all scary about that, right??? :o

Yikes! I wonder if it was at least on a GFI breaker.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, drzaius said:

Yikes! I wonder if it was at least on a GFI breaker.

That was early 1990s, so possibly not. The hotel was old construction in a small town where most of the architecture appeared to be from the turn of the millenium (the previous one!).

The town was well known for producing fine furniture, such that there was a wooden chair in the town square, about 3-stories high.

Funniest part of the tripwas eating at a pizzaria down the block, which was operated by chinese folks, none of whom we could understand in any language.  So, random pointing to menu items brought us something that vaguely resembled pizza. At least, it was round. North of Venice, they apparently don't use tomatoes for anything.

• Haha 1

16x16 is about right for two closets.  When I built the addition on our house, it included two 8x16 closets.  They don't have any windows, so it was really pretty cheap space.  They just have cheap laminate on the floor.

We've been enjoying them ever since.  The bathroom in that addition is 12x16.  8x12 is open space,including the shower, but also has a Jacuzzi.  The other four feet has an enclosed little room for the toilet, and the long sink is open into the 12x16 part, but is recessed in front of the toilet closet.  At the end of the sink is a place for the AC return duct that is fed from the adjoining room.

We think it worked out pretty good.  I built the shower curbless, not only just in case, but I don't like curbs anyway.  It couldn't have worked out any better with my Mother living with us in a wheelchair.

I'll never put any interior doors smaller than 3' in anything again.

This thread has gone off track some, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.  I went back and took a couple of pictures of one of the closets-forgot to use the wide angle lens, but anyway.  I didn't want to take time to finish sheetrock in closets, but used some smooth surface LP siding board, and one of my beaded board, and MDF ceilings.

No matter how big you build them, they'll get filled up, so you might as well plan enough room to be able to turn around in one.

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Picked up an early BF sale item

2028023504_WSRouterbits.jpg.811662b068829c74295a5b0051ab0ece.jpg

I have seen this Whiteside V Groove edge banding kit used by a couple different wood workers I follow so thought I would give it a try. I have a couple of closet organizer projects that I plan to use it on.

Whiteside was originally making those for someone else to sell under their brand name.  I called a guy that I had worked with there on making custom bits about making those very bits, before I had ever seen any anywhere.  He said they were already making them for someone else (I forget the company name), and sent me to them to get them.  I guess they decided to start selling them themselves too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

North of Venice, they apparently don't use tomatoes for anything.

And in Tuscany they don't put any salt in their bread and are damned proud of it. Yuck. Actually, the bread is delicious if you sprinkle a little salt in your oil & balsamic before dipping the bread.

• Like 2