What came in the mail today?

56 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I have this idea of getting rid of the mobile base that my router table sits on.  It has 2 fixed castors and 2 swivel castors. And, the fixed ones make it difficult to pull it straight away from the wall. So I bought these. And now [A little late in my planning}, I realized that they won't work on the router tables base.  So, I guess the base has to join the mobile base and disappear as well.  That leaves me with just a top.  Obviously that means another solution.  So, I guess I have no other choice but to build a router table.  This is going to take some planning.  Hope I can.

Just make sure you have enough room for the new router table  or you may end up buying a new house :D

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Pretty confident you can.

It's got me concerned, but I appreciate the confidence.

18 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@RichardA, just admit it - you really wanted a new router table, anyway. :lol:

Nothing worse than a mind reader.

18 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Rick, Rick, Rick, what’s the problem? You and we know you can do it so get started and let us in on the build :)

Aw Dave, you know I don't do journals. I'm not ashamed of my mistakes, I just don't like stopping to take pics while I get my head around what I'm doing.

8 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Just make sure you have enough room for the new router table  or you may end up buying a new house :D

For some reason or another, I think a new house is not a cheap as the Alder plywood I've had in the shop for a few years. And the table is going right back where it used to sit, since I already have the DC set up there for it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RichardA said:

I have this idea of getting rid of the mobile base that my router table sits on.  It has 2 fixed castors and 2 swivel castors. And, the fixed ones make it difficult to pull it straight away from the wall. So I bought these. And now [A little late in my planning}, I realized that they won't work on the router tables base.  So, I guess the base has to join the mobile base and disappear as well.  That leaves me with just a top.  Obviously that means another solution.  So, I guess I have no other choice but to build a router table.  This is going to take some planning.  Hope I can.

DSC02873.JPG

Funny how a simple plan morphs into a bigger more expensive plan. As far as a journal, slow down, you’re retired. Take some pics and create a dialogue! Looks like a fun project. 

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Funny how a simple plan morphs into a bigger more expensive plan. As far as a journal, slow down, you’re retired. Take some pics and create a dialogue! Looks like a fun project. 

Uh, what comes after "retired"?  Whatever it is, it's closer daily, and I'm not comfortable with it's approach. It limits me.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Didn't come in the mail but came via forklift to my trailer.

Ordered some Maple and walnut for upcoming projects. Walnut is for the kitchen table and bench I want to make. Maple is goign to be for some MCM furniture for our lower living room.

Walnut was $8.20 for 6/4 $7.00 for 4/4 Maple was $2.99 for 4/4

Having an ATV is so nice. I can back the trailer right up to my shop window and feed the lumber strait in. No more carrying through the house. I also used the ATV to pull an aerator around the yard, move logs around etc. A smaller 10 cu ft yard trailer would be nice. In order to get this large trailer behind the house i have to drive across my neighbor's yard. If they ever sell and the new owners install a fence I'll be screwed. I hate fences...

Drew looks like pretty nice stock! Did you call them or order online? What's the minimum? They're in ST Cloud correct?

20 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Drew looks like pretty nice stock! Did you call them or order online? What's the minimum? They're in ST Cloud correct?

St. Cloud, yes i believe they wanted 50 BF minimum but they also have wide variety of ply and appear to sell by sheet. I just called their 1-800 number. They made me feel like a valued customer and didn't treat me like i was wasting their time.

I also should have noted that they don't steam their walnut to even out color. The color on the walnut was awesome, It had a lot of purples and reds. There was most sap on a few pieces than i wanted and beings that it wasn't steamed the sap is a lot more obvious but it's not so bad as to make it unusable. That said they did have a 90% sap free grade but it was ~30% more expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

In order to get this large trailer behind the house i have to drive across my neighbor's yard

If you are friendly with your neighbor, see if he would sell just enough to give you access. In real estate terms because of your shop having good access make your property worth more. And less without it.  

32 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

If you are friendly with your neighbor, see if he would sell just enough to give you access. In real estate terms because of your shop having good access make your property worth more. And less without it.  

Can't because of minimum lot width, building setbacks, and easements between properties. The thought did cross my mind though. It'd be as easy as  telling my co-worker to process the paperwork with the county and probably wouldn't cost more than a few hundred $$$.

8 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut, wouldn't the easment requirement prevent the neighbor from building a fence that blocked access anyway?

Depends on what kind of easement we're talking about. In general Fences aren't considered a "structure" here as they can be removed and replaced easily so they can be built in most easements.

• Like 1