What came in the mail today?

They aren't that bad, if you don't fight it.  What I do for a living is work.

I had a guy working for me in 1983, when we were removing some granite from a corner of a basement excavation, for one of my houses.  He was a first Cousin to Big Mike.  We were using a rented 90 lb. jack hammer.  That was the house I built with 12x12x16 treated posts for the lake side timber framed porch we built.  That house had White Oak siding put up with screws from the inside of the sheathing, so it had no exposed fasteners on the outside.  The second owners of that house are good friends of ours that we see most days.

Aaron  (pronounced A -ron) was handling that 90 lb. jack hammer like a toy.  I told him he could go to a big city, and make a good living running one of those.  He went to visit a relative, that had worked for me in the '70's, in Boston.  I didn't hear from him for over a year, but one day he drove up to the next house I was building.  He was driving a new car, with a big gold chain around his neck.  He told me I was right about getting a good job running a jack hammer.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing about Aye-Aye Ron!

My order of the toggle clamps Richard got a few weeks ago came in. No immediate project for them but they should work just fine. A used Husky 26" top toolbox followed me home yesterday I got while picking up a fire pit from someone. Not sure what I'll do with that either, but it was a good price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I thought the same thing about Aye-Aye Ron!

My order of the toggle clamps Richard got a few weeks ago came in. No immediate project for them but they should work just fine. A used Husky 26" top toolbox followed me home yesterday I got while picking up a fire pit from someone. Not sure what I'll do with that either, but it was a good price.

I bought a dozen like you, but wound up using only 4.  But the future isn't here yet.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chet said:

Don't forget, you have to get what you build out of the basement.;)

I should be able to get a canoe out. I'm not sure i have enough space with out a post in the way but we'll see. I'm going to do measurements to make sure it fits. Otherwise I'll do the build in my garage.

The canoe should go out my shop window.

I just picked up some Bloxygen to try, too.  I did try using computer dust off spray in some PU, but I'm not sure that wasn't actually worse than nothing.  

I am amused by the form factor of the half pint can.  I'm not going to be able to dip brush or rag through that narrow opening and not sure how one decants some neatly.  Maybe a honey dipper.

Hey most of the tutorials on this say to apply with a white non-abrasive Norton pad.  I have some white pads from 3M.  Are they the same thing?

9 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

That little bottle of Osmo will last a surprisingly long time. I got a bigger can and have trouble with the solids caking up inside, apparently from exposure to air. 

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

just picked up some Bloxygen to try, too.

6 hours ago, drzaius said:

used some freeze spray in a half can of tung oil & it absorbed into the oil & sucked the can flat. Weird.

I bought a 3 liter can over 3 years ago and put what I didn't originally use in StopLoss bags. Still using it today and it's fine.

EDIT: Do NOT get their funnel to fill the bags. Very soft sided and collapses if you try to put more than an ounce or so in at a time. Don't ask how I know.

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

I just picked up some Bloxygen to try, too.  I did try using computer dust off spray in some PU, but I'm not sure that wasn't actually worse than nothing.  

I am amused by the form factor of the half pint can.  I'm not going to be able to dip brush or rag through that narrow opening and not sure how one decants some neatly.  Maybe a honey dipper.

Hey most of the tutorials on this say to apply with a white non-abrasive Norton pad.  I have some white pads from 3M.  Are they the same thing?

I have been using 60 cc  syringes for applying PolyX.  Allows me to really control the amount and return the unused portion to the can.  They are cheap enough that I just toss the syringe after use.

Yes the 3M pads are the same.

17 minutes ago, Mick S said:

I bought a 3 liter can over 3 years ago and put what I didn't originally use in StopLoss bags. Still using it today and it's fine.

EDIT: Do NOT get their funnel to fill the bags. Very soft sided and collapses if you try to put more than an ounce or so in at a time. Don't ask how I know.

Mick, I think the funnel is the cat’s meow! I’ve never had your problem. I did learn the other day that you should clean it before it dries as getting all the little flakes out can take up a whole day:unsure:. I never did do good in my common sense classes in school. 

Learned something new. I didn’t think about putting it over the can. It fits so tight around the bag opening, I just support the bag and funnel by holding around the top of the funnel and pour it in. Dave, your idea will work only with a new bag or one without any liquid as you attach the bag to the funnel and invert it over the can, right? 

15 minutes ago, Coop said:

Learned something new. I didn’t think about putting it over the can. It fits so tight around the bag opening, I just support the bag and funnel by holding around the top of the funnel and pour it in. Dave, your idea will work only with a new bag or one without any liquid as you attach the bag to the funnel and invert it over the can, right? 

hey Coop, I wait till the bag is almost empty and refill it from a fresh can no problem, I put the funnel on the can first then the bag , never had a funnel come off the bag or can but I’m pretty careful, I do have one bag that’s around 50/50 mix of ARS and mineral spirits that I use for a final coat

• Like 1

What came in the mail, absolutely nothing. About three weeks ago I ordered a Carhartt dash cover from a dealer. The windshield of my PU is like a magnifying glass. I called today to check on it and was told it will ship mid October. Even in Texas, it doesn’t get that hot in October! 

• Haha 1

Got a Wynn filter for my HF dust collector, and a couple bad packages from HF-

This one got stuck at a shipping hub for about a week. The tracking said that the barcode label was unreadable and was replaced...

50E0AA5C-5DD6-4E8B-A5D3-AA61D786E643.jpeg.026a31a44c20309b0e1d549f067e9649.jpeg

And this one was undamaged, but is funny because I didn’t order it. 

AA86F6AA-F977-43F2-B720-FB6654527FE2.jpeg.4350dc5daca999f93b5ebdbf0c06f295.jpeg

• Confused 1