What came in the mail today?

48 minutes ago, legenddc said:

@treeslayer Looks like these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-6-Inch-201C-Horizontal-Toggle-Clamps-220LB-Quick-Release-Hand-Tool/254545219615?hash=item3b4413d01f:g:afEAAOSwG21ec3XF 

Harbor Freight has vertical and horizontal ones for about $6/each.

I just looked.  Those are the ones I got the other day.

• Like 1

Waiting on pictures to come from phone to computer.  I won an auction for a Baldor 7-1/2 hp single phase motor on ebay.  It's to go on a compressor that I had replaced the 10hp 3 phase motor with one I found cheap on CL.  That first motor has been worrying me, so I've kept a lookout for a good one.

It came today.  The box looks like it was rolled down a hill, and the endcap casting is broken, with the part that holds the bearing completely separated.  I had the seller raise the insurance to full replacement value, so it will probably work out okay.  Waiting to hear back from UPS.

Shipping weight is listed at 134 pounds, so I was surprised it came in a regular UPS truck.  James left it on our deck, because no one was at the house.  He's honest though, so I'm anxious to hear what he has to say, the next time he comes (probably tomorrow).

Also waiting on the deck for me was a Bullard Supplied Air compressor, bought off another ww forums.  It was packed impeccably, and arrived in perfect condition.

Pictures later.

• Like 1

It was completely surrounded by some pretty substantial padding that I had never seen before.  Here's the motor.  That's a pretty big thrust bearing that goes in that cup on the end cap that was caved in.  Pretty sure it's FUBAR.  Putting in a request for a new replacement.  This was a new one, as can be seen by the shot of blue, high temp grease under the thrust bearing that had never moved.

It's an $1100 motor.  First time I've ever raised the insurance on something, but I've been looking for a deal on this motor for a couple of years, at least, and wanted a motor, instead of the money back for what I paid for it.

IMG_2612.JPG

So the tension gauge is very simple and from my observation works quite well. It holds everything on board that you need to make it work. There are the 2 tabs that have the settings for the different blade widths. It can accommodate anything from 1/4" to 3/4". I have a feeling that one could extrapolate additional sizes if needed as well.

DSC_4799-01.thumb.jpeg.ea5850ec1b61ca1cae470706d031daf6.jpeg

To adjust you just hold the tab where the screw protrudes and adjust so the screw just hits the end of the gauge. I have to show this on a table because I don't have 4 arms.

DSC_4800-01.thumb.jpeg.33266f35a521b799d303affdf08827b7.jpeg

After that you snap it on the band saw blade and crank up the tension. When one of the magnets releases you are at the set tension 15,000 psi which is typical for most low tension band saw blades.

DSC_4802-01.thumb.jpeg.830a17e041c1816138113086542593e2.jpeg

I learned that I'm drastically under tension on most of my blades. I also learned that I can't turn the crank on my band saw near full tension of a 3/4" blade...

I think this is a good tool. The big question is, Is it remotely accurate? Some day I'll test that with a junk blade, somehow.

• Like 2

That's the problem with many such gadgets, testing to failure is the only way to determine if they are accurate. Looks a lot more precise and repeatable than "my finger turns white the the first knuckle before I see deflection" method.

I wonder how accurately one could map blade tension to vibrating frequency of a plucked blade? A cheap guitar tuner would be just the ticket, then.

I give my blade several cranks and then tap it with my finger and continue to do so until it feels good. I know when I get there. Kind of like patting the wife on the butt in passing. I’ve never broken a blade but do get looks of discontent every once in a while. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I wonder how accurately one could map blade tension to vibrating frequency of a plucked blade? A cheap guitar tuner would be just the ticket, then.

I believe Andy klien is wondering the same thing. I found out about this gadget from a post of his where he was shooting for A sharp...

20 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So you're saying you couldn't hit the 15,000 mark with the 3/4" blade?

I could i just had to release tension to turn the wheel  further then reengage tension on the blade.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom King said:

Here's the box the motor came in.  Still waiting on the picture of the motor.  Pretty sure it's toast, and not just a broken rear plate.  The shaft is locked up.  I moved it off our deck with the loader because it was starting to rain.

IMG_2611.JPG

Ouch.  

I had a broadly similar experience on Ebay this winter and have stopped ordering on Ebay for the time being. 

Funny thing, "Wikibuy" or what ever it's called, will often find a "better" price than what you're about to pay - and it's on Ebay