What came in the mail today?

On 4/3/2022 at 7:23 AM, Tom King said:

Another thing that came was a 3-1/4" SDS-Max drill bit.  I have to drill a hole through the slab to get a new service entrance wire up into the wall, and through the footing at the top of the hill.

IMG_3870.jpg

Tom what does a bit like that cost? Do you wet the bit as its cutting?

On 4/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, pkinneb said:

Tom what does a bit like that cost? Do you wet the bit as its cutting?

About a hundred bucks.  I do use water to cut down on dust, but it's not required.  I hope I can get the two holes drilled with it.  It won't go deep enough to go all the way through at either place.  I expect I'll go down a few inches, and break out the middle part even if I have to use some of my stone splitting wedges. 

There are also two 2" cast iron drain lines cut off at floor level.  I'm hoping I can use this bit to dig out around them with enough to get some no-hub fittings on them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089M8K3HG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If there a link to that particle meter?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Where did you order yours?  I have been kicking around getting one but cannot seems to find one that fits the bill 

Banggood has them:

https://www.banggood.com/PM1_0-PM2_5-PM10-Detector-Module-Air-Quality-Dust-Sensor-Tester-with-2_8-Inch-LCD-Display-for-Monitoring-Home-Office-Car-Tools-p-1588436.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

• Like 2

I think about a particle meter from time to time, too.  But I'm already doing all the dust mitigation I can: 3HP DC, Jet AFS, PAPR.  Based on the dust that collects on surfaces I can be pretty sure there's still dust in the air, but the only thing I could do at this point is stop making sawdust.  :(

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I think about a particle meter from time to time, too.  But I'm already doing all the dust mitigation I can: 3HP DC, Jet AFS, PAPR.  Based on the dust that collects on surfaces I can be pretty sure there's still dust in the air, but the only thing I could do at this point is stop making sawdust.  :(

I use mine every time I'm in the shop. It's nice to see when dust levels are safe so I can turn off the DC or unmask. I don't mind the respirator for limited periods, but it gets uncomfortable after a while, so it's nice to know when I can take it off. It's impossible to tell just by how clear the air looks. That particle counter is also very inexpensive.

• Like 1

The right slot was perfect, so I left it alone. About 20 minutes of filing this morning got the bar to fit into the left slot, although it still doesn't slide as smoothly as the right.

Now, can anyone tell me whose brilliant idea it was to make the slot in my BS table 5/8" instead of 3/4"  ???  :angry:

• Like 2

For those of you who bought that air sensor from banggood, how are you finding it? I was about to purchase it but someone answered a question with "It measures PM2.5 accurately by laser scattering from a number of particles at once. It guesses PM1 and PM10 based on the PM2.5 reading and an assumed distribution of particle sizes."

That might be okay for normal usage but in a shop it might not be the best. I tried watching the video but my Spanish isn't that good.

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

For those of you who bought that air sensor from banggood, how are you finding it? I was about to purchase it but someone answered a question with "It measures PM2.5 accurately by laser scattering from a number of particles at once. It guesses PM1 and PM10 based on the PM2.5 reading and an assumed distribution of particle sizes."

That might be okay for normal usage but in a shop it might not be the best. I tried watching the video but my Spanish isn't that good.

My Spanish is excellent, as in I just used google translate on the subtitles.... and it appears that it is more intelligent than just measuring the 2,5um particle and calculating from there. When he was explaining the sensor it is able to determine the particle size based on how the light is scattered.

I do see numbers between 1..0um 2.5 um and 10um that make it seem like it's not algorithm based. When 1.0um is even or lower than 2.5um that is a good indicator. for smaller particles down to 0.3um it may be guessing a bit more there but this isn't to be used as a scientific instrument, I see it more as a comparison. If you have an AQI reading for your area you could place the sensor out side and get a baseline. Then compare that to your house with stagnant air and your shop with tools running.

Mine has been running in my kitchen for a week. When we cooked on the weekend and posted huge numbers it took 8-10 hours for the particles to drop back to "safe" levels. Baseline levels in my house are 0 across the board. I"m going to move it to my shop eventually. I want to see if doing a lot of milling in the shop ever increases particles elsewhere in the house though. This weekend I'll be doing a lot of milling so I'll be able to put that to the test a bit.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 1:54 PM, Chestnut said:

My Spanish is excellent, as in I just used google translate on the subtitles.... and it appears that it is more intelligent than just measuring the 2,5um particle and calculating from there. When he was explaining the sensor it is able to determine the particle size based on how the light is scattered.

I do see numbers between 1..0um 2.5 um and 10um that make it seem like it's not algorithm based. When 1.0um is even or lower than 2.5um that is a good indicator. for smaller particles down to 0.3um it may be guessing a bit more there but this isn't to be used as a scientific instrument, I see it more as a comparison. If you have an AQI reading for your area you could place the sensor out side and get a baseline. Then compare that to your house with stagnant air and your shop with tools running.

Mine has been running in my kitchen for a week. When we cooked on the weekend and posted huge numbers it took 8-10 hours for the particles to drop back to "safe" levels. Baseline levels in my house are 0 across the board. I"m going to move it to my shop eventually. I want to see if doing a lot of milling in the shop ever increases particles elsewhere in the house though. This weekend I'll be doing a lot of milling so I'll be able to put that to the test a bit.

Thank you! I was going to ask a colleague who speaks Spanish to let me know what it said since I think it will be over my kids head. Didn't think to grab the captions and put it into google translate.

I've heard cooking with a gas stove releases pollutants linked among other things to an increase is asthma among kids. Would be interesting to keep this by the stove to see how things change and how long it takes to go down. Can't say I want to get rid of our oven and buy an induction range, and I'm sure they come with their own issues, but it would be interesting to see.

I'm also going to set up the meter outside the shop and upstairs and see if/how the numbers change while I'm working. Only been hesitating buying this because of all the other money it might cost (new oven, dust collection, find a place with a garage, etc.)

22 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Would be interesting to keep this by the stove to see how things chang

It will increase particle count dramatically. A small portion is the gas though most of it is smoke and airborne particles from the food cooking process.

23 minutes ago, legenddc said:

how long it takes to go down.

My kitchen takes 8-10 hours to return to normal after a large spike.

24 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Can't say I want to get rid of our oven and buy an induction range, and I'm sure they come with their own issues, but it would be interesting to see.

I should run my range to get a baseline without food cooking. My guess is the bulk of particles are generated from the food cooking not the gas it's self. Unless there is a difference in ashma depending on the particle and size isn't the determining factor.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:38 PM, Chestnut said:

I should run my range to get a baseline without food cooking. My guess is the bulk of particles are generated from the food cooking not the gas it's self. Unless there is a difference in ashma depending on the particle and size isn't the determining factor.

Just ordered it but it won't be here for a month. I'll have to test how it does with the gas oven on vs the electric air fryer/toaster oven. If I stumble on an electric hot plate or griddle I can test that compared to the stovetop and see what is caused from the food cooking compared to the gas.

33 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Just ordered it but it won't be here for a month. I'll have to test how it does with the gas oven on vs the electric air fryer/toaster oven. If I stumble on an electric hot plate or griddle I can test that compared to the stovetop and see what is caused from the food cooking compared to the gas.

I was just going to run a burner on high for a while with no pan on top. That works too.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Ran both burners 5 min. Numbers appear unaffected.

0408221529_HDR.thumb.jpg.c89b8fe29d9335caf432acaa8ecfac22.jpg

• Like 2