What came in the mail today?

On 5/5/2022 at 5:39 AM, Chestnut said:

To store all your 36 x 48 hand drawings of projects, or plats of your property? :D Could be great storage for a lot of wood working stuff. So many items and thin and flat and would fit in there well.

My office has 2 8 foot tall 25 foot long rows of those full of property plats.

There's a chance at one point these drawers actually had a plat of my property in them. I got them from a local surveying company that originally handled the surveys for my lot.

My father and brother both use stacks of these in their trailer workshops and swear by them. Should be great for odd fasteners, hardware, leather, etc that tends to get lost or folded in deeper drawers or boxes.

@Chestnut, I stopped hunting deer decades ago, but always preferred a lever action, and iron sights. My favorite rifle was a Browning 1892 in .44 Magnum. Kicked like a Missouri mule on steroids, but it sure was fun to shoot. I only had the gumption to go all Chuck Conners with it once, though. 12 rounds in 3 seconds with that recoil was pretty tough.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Biscuit joinery is highly under appreciated by many these days, but it can't be beat for sheet goods. I've had a Lamello for over 30 years and I love it.

Of course I bought it just a year or so before the patent expired so I paid a bit more. Same with my Fein oscillating tool. My timing sucks

On 5/24/2022 at 6:39 AM, drzaius said:

Biscuit joinery is highly under appreciated by many these days

Yea, I sold mine when I got my Domino.  I wish I had hung on to it.  I ended up selling the Domino too because I wasn't really finding it in my work flow.  But there are times when I wish I had the biscuit joiner. 

On 5/24/2022 at 6:39 AM, drzaius said:

Biscuit joinery is highly under appreciated by many these days, but it can't be beat for sheet goods. I've had a Lamello for over 30 years and I love it.

Of course I bought it just a year or so before the patent expired so I paid a bit more. Same with my Fein oscillating tool. My timing sucks

It’s not a biscuit joiner although the mechanics of it are very similar. The mortises it makes are for mechanical fasteners. They have several types. Some that can be locked using and Allen wrench which is great for knock down furniture.  They also have connectors that snap together and act as clamps. So you can add glue and avoid the need for clamps.  

F96E80DF-8EC7-439A-A92D-78B4DCE689E2.jpeg

E29018DB-30A8-4FC0-BA84-743A7051EC76.jpeg

363DFB91-3D0C-4015-A940-6BFA644688F0.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jussi said:

It’s not a biscuit joiner although the mechanics of it are very similar. The mortises it makes are for mechanical fasteners. They have several types. Some that can be locked using and Allen wrench which is great for knock down furniture.  They also have connectors that snap together and act as clamps. So you can add glue and avoid the need for clamps.  

When I bought my Lamello it came with several sample fasteners for knock down use, non-wood materials, hinges, plus a few others I can't remember.

Gearwrench makes good stuff.  I'm still using a Craftsman set that must be over 40 years old.

Here's a tap wrench I bought off ebay when I was working on the tractor that I thought I needed, but couldn't swing it all the way around because it was too big.  I ended up using a breaker bar on the 1" tap.

IMG_2208.JPG

On 5/31/2022 at 12:05 AM, jussi said:

Finally got a decent tap and die set.  I bought cheap set at a swapmeet years ago because I figure I wouldn't need it that much and could save money by not buying a nicer set.  Since then I've found I use it alot more than I thought.  It was a pain to use however with both the taps and dies constantly slipping out of the handle.  Plus the last 2 times I had to use it it didn't have the correct tap size and I had to buy those specific sizes which negated any cost savings.  Picked up this set from the jungle.  Made by gearwrench.   Played around with it and seems well made and it has a ratcheting handle which seems like a huge plus. 

What are you using it for that often? I had the one you bought on my list but my dad ended up buying a kit for something. I find I need a thread chaser more often but haven't picked one up yet.