What came in the mail today?

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

I really need to stop moving and assembling these machines on my own, my luck is going to run out soon. It almost did while lifting the power head onto the column

I remember this fact from when I put mine together.  I wish I lived closer, I'd have come over to help.  

You never did explain why it was upside down.

• Thanks 1

Oh right, due to timing, I had to take my wife’s minivan to pick it up. I assumed it would come in boxes, but it was an integrated box/pallet. The shop doesn’t have a forklift, so the only way to get it in the van was to slide it in on the cardboard side.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 6:10 AM, Mark J said:

@BonPacific, What sort of "tree" is it hanging from?

Engine hoist I rented, since I picked this up from an estate auction and had to do both the loading and unloading. Specifically a "Vestil EHN-40-C". My wife and I were able to pop it in and out of the truck bed next to the jointer, and the whole thing worked a treat.

The strap in this shot is a little lighter than I would have liked (only rated half a ton working) but I misplaced my heavier stuff apparently. I borrowed some bigger straps from another guy at the auction to get it loaded.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, drzaius said:

Just a bit of a caution. It's not recommended to lift a jointer from the tables. You'll want to have a good look to be sure everything's as it should be.

When I was looking up how to move these the concerns mostly seemed to be about affecting the alignment rather than damaging the tables. As it was an auction item I decided to just assume the tables were out of alignment to begin with. If there's something else to look out for I'm all ears.

I plan to do a tune up anyways. At a minimum I'll need to clean off some surface rust, re-wire it back to 220 (previous owner had it set to 110) and swap in new knives (which it came with thankfully). There weren't a ton of other options for moving it out of where it was and into where I needed it.

• Like 2

My old Delta has been moved all sorts of ways over 30 times, including two strong men getting it into the back of a pickup by lifting at the ends of the beds.  It's still dead on.  When I put it on the mobile base a couple of weeks ago, I picked up on the infeed end to the point that the outfeed was resting on the floor, and picked it up enough for Pam to slide the mobile base under it.

Don't try this at home, but they're a lot tougher than most seem to think.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

We average 11 outages a year.  Last year the shortest was 6 hours and the longest almost 72.  Of course our old generator crapped out during the 72 hour outage.  It was a little over 10 yrs old.  Its replacement showed up today.  I hope it has a long run too.

DSC_0106-001.JPG.1c3beb06bd8deba0d572e788a387a582.JPG

How much of your house are you able to power with that generator? 

The generator I use is also a portable one.  I only run non-ethanol in it, use the fuel cutoff as the off switch, and keep a spare carb on hand because it might go years between uses.  It's something over 25 years old, and still works when I need it.  I did have to use a spare carb after one hurricane to get it going, but I had lost track of how many years it had been sitting.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 7:54 AM, Tom King said:

The generator I use is also a portable one.  I only run non-ethanol in it, use the fuel cutoff as the off switch, and keep a spare carb on hand because it might go years between uses.  It's something over 25 years old, and still works when I need it.  I did have to use a spare carb after one hurricane to get it going, but I had lost track of how many years it had been sitting.

I also run non-ethanol in mine and use the fuel cutoff as the off switch. I try to run it a couple times a year to prevent it gumming up the carb, so far it’s worked out, though I have never actually needed it for an outage. 

• Like 2