music / keepsake box for granddaughter in red gum wood

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

I like that you took the extra effort to miter the drawer front sides.

thanks Coop, yeah the only way to get the continuous grain, well there are others, is to miter the corners. i'm sure people will notice the divider in the top of the box has the grain running the wrong way, that's because i'm OUT of red gum and was using every bit i had to get this one done, i hope to run into some more one day it sure is pretty stuff and that grain on this one is wild just like the granddaughter its going to.

That box is great. It has a lot of detail from the wood selection that make small boxes like this a lot more interesting. I agree the sides are a bit thick as well, having worked with redgum before i understand why you left it thick. The stuff does not like to sit still and has interlocking grain to make life more difficult.

I also like your rounded edge detail on the lid. I never know what to do there but really like the simple round over like that.

18 hours ago, treeslayer said:

i'm sure people will notice the divider in the top of the box has the grain running the wrong way,

See, if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have gone back to see what you were talking about.

That is a really gorgeous looking box Dave.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

BTW your cut offs guy is a keeper

he sure is, he gave me some spalted maple, butternut, some Brazilian cherry and a little rosewood last night, now to decide what to make!

18 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Love the mitered drawer front detail too.

Thanks gee-dub i've done that on several small drawers and like the way it looks, i am surprised that more people on here haven't done it considering the amazing woodworkers that hang out here

1 hour ago, Chet said:

See, if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have gone back to see what you were talking about.

thanks Chet, yeah i haven't learned to keep my mouth shut, at least according to my wife;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Thanks gee-dub i've done that on several small drawers and like the way it looks, i am surprised that more people on here haven't done it considering the amazing woodworkers that hang out here

I realized after my comment on the miter drawer that it wasn't just the drawer but the miter is on all four sides (naturally) and you cut the bottom part off of the front to become the drawer front. Nice thinking!!

• Thanks 1

That’s correct Coop, layout is left end, front, right end, back. cut to length then miter the ends, you lose an 1/8” plus but the grain still matches pretty good, cut off for the drawer and trim the other 3 pieces to match the new dimension, looks cool especially with a nicely piece of figured wood 

• Like 1