Two Nightstands

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

The top drawer faces on each look like a little different grain than the lower drawers. How did you arrange that? Looks great with the border frame.

Nothing to technical just a different piece of lumber.  The bottom four are all from one piece and Sapele is a lot like Cherry in that it darkens over time. After making the drawer fronts they sat on top of the pile while I worked on other things and got darker then the other four. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

decorative plugs,

This.  

I was trying a new technique I saw a guy using on kitchen cabinets.  You cut the plug exactly the same size as you "mortise" then put a small chamfer on the bottom edges of the plug.  Then pound it in with a mallet, no glue.  It compresses the fibers and gives you a perfect fit.  I did about three dry runs on scraps before I committed to the project.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

These are awesome looking. SO how did you accomplish the top drawer? I really like the framed and inset look. I'm honestly thinking about incorporating that into the cabinets I'm making now.

It's pretty much just as it looks.  All the drawer fronts are 3/4" thick.  On the top drawer the main panel is 1/2" thick and the frame, mitered at the corners, is 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide.  When I cut the pieces for the frame I left them about 1/32" over my 3/4" target width.  This left me with just a fuzz of an over hang so I could flush the edge up with the main panel of the drawer front once the glue dried.

• Like 2