Minnesota To Maine and Back Again

Chestnut

The wife and I are traveling to Maine via car for a vacation. We are making some stops on the way there to break up the drive. Apart from Lie Nielsen are there any places between Minneapolis and Acadia National Park that are worth a short stop? We have the trip pretty well booked, I'm just curious if there is something that is worth a short stop we'd probably appreciate it to stretch our legs.

I wanted to get to Toronto for Lee Valley but a boarder crossing is out of the cards, too much of a hassle.

• Like 2

This should be an awesome time of year for that trip!! I went out there about 5 years ago through Canada then Ronda flew out and we meandered our way back through Vermont, New Hampshire, Niagara falls etc. Beautiful country and yes Lie Nielsen is worth a stop Acadia is amazing make sure you go to the top!

• Like 1

The last time I was in Bar Harbor, you wern't born yet.  However here's a tip.  There are a lot of small coves facing East that have small cafe's for those that anchor their boats in those coves.  If you find one, go there before sunrise, sit at the window, with a few cups of good fresh coffee, and a cinnamon roll bigger than your hand, and watch the mist lift and the sunrise.  If you're in the right frame of mind, it's an experience that will stay with you for years.

• Like 2

We'll be staying out of Canada and the fastest route then is around the Chicago end of the lake. I'd love to drive through the UP but that will be a dedicated trip some time.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Niagara Falls.  The falls are stupendous, but you can pretty much get that point in an hour or two.  And technically you are still newlyweds.

Niagara falls is one of our destinations for the route back. We're planning on doing a Maid of the Mist tours etc.

22 minutes ago, Mark J said:

If you're passing Detroit the Ford Museum is worth at least a couple of hours.  Alternatively, Greenfield Village.

I wonder if I'll get some odd looks showing up in a Jeep. I'll make sure to give some New Bronco fans the stink eye and nasty hand gestures.

4 minutes ago, RichardA said:

The last time I was in Bar Harbor, you wern't born yet.  However here's a tip.  There are a lot of small coves facing East that have small cafe's for those that anchor their boats in those coves.  If you find one, go there before sunrise, sit at the window, with a few cups of good fresh coffee, and a cinnamon roll bigger than your hand, and watch the mist lift and the sunrise.  If you're in the right frame of mind, it's an experience that will stay with you for years.

This is exactly why both Megan and I want to go to Maine. I plan on spending each morning like this while we're out there. That and sit in a small town restaurant eating lobster watching the sunset.

• Like 1

Found my trip spreadsheet from the Maine trip. Bar Harbor is a cool little town as noted above, Young's Lobster Pound was very good its in Belfast ME, The seven napkin burger (Owls Head General Store) Owls Head ME was very good as well. Wait these notes can't be right it says I dropped $476 at Lee Valley and $325 at Lie Nielsen :o LOL

FWIW we went down to a place called Orchard Beach but even in late August it was pretty much shut down.

We rented a condo for two nights at "Rivergreen Resort" in Lincoln NH and that was nice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, wtnhighlander said:

That place looks awesome, Drew? Care to elaborate on "Bubbles"?

So the bubbles are peaks that are off the the side of the Cadillac Mountain. I believe from my reading that Cadillac mountain was a magma pool that cooled slowly underground and the softer rock was weathered away. The bubbles my guess were formed off to the side of the main magma pool. The look like small bubbles off to the side of a large bubble in a lava lamp essentially.

• Thanks 1