A home repair ends up in the emergency room

curlyoak

The laundry room needed a new florescent fixture. In the process on the ladder a razor sharp edge makes a big gash in my hand. Blood everywhere. I was no handed because the good hand was applying pressure on the cut hand. I was able to get out the door and solicited my neighbor to transport me. The emergency room was mobbed with people and I was told to was normal. So many people use the emergency for routine care because they need a doc and an appointment takes weeks. Also indigents use it a primary care. So I waited hours. Finally I got 3 stitches on the palm of my right hand. Lucky part was that I am left handed. So the hand must stay dry for 24 hours until I can take the bandage off. I can't get an appointment to any medical source other than urgent care clinics to remove the stitches one week later. Fortunately my neighbor is an emergency nurse and has agreed to help.

The work was almost done on the lamp. Tools and mess every where .  I had to finish it. When you fall off the horse you got to get up in the saddle again. Probably should have waited but all went well.

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your injury! Hope it heals up well. The edges of those fluorescent fixtures are definitely treacherous.

Yes, the emergency department is heavily abused. People know they can’t turn anyone away and there are many people that use it as their primary care. It has been abused for a long time, but in some areas is much worse after Covid. Many outpatient and non-emergency doctors offices were closed during covid, and started referring everyone to the emergency department if they’d call in. Even after they began to reopen, some continued to push off their patients to the emergency department, and still do.

Plus, after covid, a lot of people are very quick to worry that previously common symptoms are now emergent symptoms. 

Tragically, around the holidays are also super high traffic times at the emergency department. Kids of aging parents see them for the first time in 6-12 months and are surprised that they have continued to age and rush them to the hospital.

• Like 2

I appreciate the kindness and concerns. It is medicinal for me. Thank you! I think the worst part is mostly over. I am required to keep the bandage on and dry until this afternoon. Later getting it wet will be OK. I think by tomorrow I will be  2 handed with the injured hand about 50%. My guess. 

We will be having a serious cold front in local terms. Saturday morning will be 40. Which means a winterizing for my orchid collection. It is 2 or 3 hours with 2 good hands. I am soliciting neighbors for help. The first request was anxious to help. I am unsure of what my ability will be then. 

On 12/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, Ronn W said:

I sure do appreciate the effort to inform us of you rmisfortune since you are typing one handed.  Hope it heals well.

I type poorly. I am typing challenged. I type with 2 fingers with my eyes on the keyboard. I am using one finger from each hand. The bandage comes off this afternoon. Stitches next week. All fingers are good.

• Like 1

Glad it wasn’t any worse!

What precautions do you take to protect your orchids? 
I once got a wild idea to protect my tomatoes by covering them with old sheets and added several old smudge pots between the rows. It ended up not freezing that night and the tomatoes tasted like creosote! Young, dumb and didn’t have a clue!  :wacko:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Coop said:

What precautions do you take to protect your orchids?

I have a 9 x 14 space. It has a lexan roof. 3 sides are screen enclose and the 4th wall is the back of the garage. To winterize I have greenhouse pvc that I roll down and lock in place on the 3 sides. I jam as many plants that will fit and add an electric heater. The goal is to keep 50 or higher. Blooming plants come in the house. Nobody minds the inside plants because of the flowers. The orchids that are established on trees should survive. The trees are mostly water and are always warmer than the lows. Trees are like a heat sink. I just heard a forecast that calls for 35 on Xmas eve...brrrr

On 12/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, legenddc said:

Damn, glad you're okay!

FYI it was the only thing on my list for the day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yikes! glad you were able to get it stitched up.

It's not a fun time to have a child under 6 months. RSV is running rampant, urgent care and emergency room waits are through the roof. I've already heard 2 stories about the deaths of a 1.5 year old and 2.5 year old child dying from a combination RSV Covid.

It's really making me pause and think about going in if Hazel gets sick. Do i take her to Virus land to get a double or triple infection, or keep her home?

• Sad 2

On 12/19/2022 at 8:28 AM, Chestnut said:

Yikes! glad you were able to get it stitched up.

It's not a fun time to have a child under 6 months. RSV is running rampant, urgent care and emergency room waits are through the roof. I've already heard 2 stories about the deaths of a 1.5 year old and 2.5 year old child dying from a combination RSV Covid.

It's really making me pause and think about going in if Hazel gets sick. Do i take her to Virus land to get a double or triple infection, or keep her home?

When that was really high here we went to the pediatrician, a pediatric urgent care and regular urgent care based on availability.

Hope you have some meds on hand just in case. If you end up needing some and can't find any I'm happy to look here and ship it to you. We even have a nebulizer if you were to need it.

• Thanks 1