Decent base cabinets for the shop

Brendon_t

With the garage to shop renovation about ready to start, I've been watching cl for any base cabinets like someone tearing out a kitchen but haven't seen squat. 

I know its been covered but its buried in the search function.  

Anybody have any advice where to look for decent (read as not nicer than my kitchen cabinets) cabinets or boxes? 

I don't mind buying just boxes and making face frames and doors.  

Brendon, the ikea website is a pain in the ass.  I've dug through it, here's what I learned:

* White "haggeby" is the cheapest door/drawer

* Cheapest cabinet per linear inch is a 36" 2-door - it was $2.64 / in.  (2.64 $/ inch if you're Shane).

* Adding drawers gets expensive - there's a cheap drawer hardware and a more expensive drawer hardware

* Doing doors with wire basket drawers is a more economical approach but only works in a few widths of cabinet

* I believe there's only one solid wood counter top left - the hammarp.  Comes in 98 or 74 lengths x 25 5/8 deep x 1 1/8 thick.

• Like 1

Coop, i know that I could.  I just have no desire to.  I want to get the shop finished so I can  build a rocker.

I'm also not married to any specific sized boxes.  I could make due with a lot of  different sizes. 

I guess it's like doing my own taxes. I definately could,  but my time is better spend doing something else.

Plus,  at $78/$100 a piece.  It'll be about the same price as buying my own cabinet ply.

Edited by Brendon_t

I agree with you, Brendon, except for one thing. If you build them from plywood, they will actually stand up to shop use, instead of turning to particlemush when the humidity gets high, like the $70-$100 a pop stuff available from my local big-box does. Voice of experience. If your shop space is climate-controlled, that's a different story.

With the garage to shop renovation about ready to start, I've been watching cl for any base cabinets like someone tearing out a kitchen but haven't seen squat.

I know its been covered but its buried in the search function.

Anybody have any advice where to look for decent (read as not nicer than my kitchen cabinets) cabinets or boxes?

I don't mind buying just boxes and making face frames and doors.

The boxes are the easy part and Id be glad to walk you through it if you don't mind sending me a pm..Mark

Try doing a google search for "surplus building supplies" in your area. There are usually a few places in every city that sell surplus building supplies (think returns, damaged in shipping, built with imperfections, etc.) I bought four oak base cabinets that all had damage from a place like that hen was able to put together three good cabinets back in my shop in an hour.

In my case, one unit had a broken door, another unit had a broken drawer, and another one had been hit by a forklift damaging the case but not the door or drawer. I scrapped the one with major damage to the case and used the door and drawer to fix the other two. The fourth cabinet had minor damage to the back of the case that I was able to patch up by installing a new plywood back. In the end, they were as nice as they would have been if I had bought them new but I was able to get them for 75% off

If I was in a hurry to get it done, I would probably get them from Ikea.  They actually do make decent cabinets.  Before I got back in to woodworking, I remodeled my kitchen and used Ikea cabinets.  The carcass is nothing special, but they are decent quality.  They also have drawer slides that are Blum, and very good quality slide.  We've had our kitchen now for 8 years and not a single thing has worn out or broken, and we have a 6 year old who thinks nothing of climbing up the cabinets and slamming doors and drawers.