Copyright Infringement

This is just a quick note about a thread I had to remove today. I'm only posting this because I wasn't sure the folks involved had a chance to see my response on the thread before I deleted it. Bottom line is the thread linked to a YouTube channel that posts copyrighted material illegally. No one is at fault here simply because it's very difficult for anyone to know what's posted legitimately and what's not. However, I saw several titles posted in their catalog that I KNOW they do not have permission to post. Anything that seems too good to be true probably is. 

• Like 2

This is just a quick note about a thread I had to remove today. I'm only posting this because I wasn't sure the folks involved had a chance to see my response on the thread before I deleted it. Bottom line is the thread linked to a YouTube channel that posts copyrighted material illegally. No one is at fault here simply because it's very difficult for anyone to know what's posted legitimately and what's not. However, I saw several titles posted in their catalog that I KNOW they do not have permission to post. Anything that seems too good to be true probably is. 

Sorry about that, Marc. I'm not 100% sure how all that works on Youtube. I wasn't sure if because The Router Workshop is an older show that is was ok that that guy had it on his channel.

I guess since I wasn't sure I shouldn't have posted it.

My bad guys, sorry again!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Sorry about that, Marc. I'm not 100% sure how all that works on Youtube. I wasn't sure if because The Router Workshop is an older show that is was ok that that guy had it on his channel.

I guess since I wasn't sure I shouldn't have posted it.

My bad guys, sorry again!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

If it was made in the US after 1923 it's under copyright, unless specifically released under other terms, and will be under copyright effectively forever.  That's all I say about that before I start talking about politics in a topic about removing another topic :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krtwood said:

If it was made in the US after 1923 it's under copyright, unless specifically released under other terms, and will be under copyright effectively forever.  That's all I say about that before I start talking about politics in a topic about removing another topic :) 

I know most content is under copyright.  However, it is not always easy to tell if a youtube channel has permission to post the copyrighted material.  

51 minutes ago, krtwood said:

"Other terms..."  If an individual holds the copyright, it expires at their death. 

55 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

"Other terms..."  If an individual holds the copyright, it expires at their death. 

Copyright normally passes to the author's estate for 50-70 years after their death (depending on the country). Which places just about every video ever created under copyright.

Just a question, but how does something become public domain?  The movie Night Of The Living Dead has been, pretty famously, public domain since it's release because of some sort error in registering it's copy write. 

10 minutes ago, mds2 said:

Just a question, but how does something become public domain?  The movie Night Of The Living Dead has been, pretty famously, public domain since it's release because of some sort error in registering it's copy write. 

The law has since changed, but back then you had to publish a copyright notice with the work so that people knew it was copyrighted.  So even though it should have been protected, they forgot to put a copyright notice on the title card, which effectively made it public domain.  

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2011/10/10/how-a-copyright-mistake-created-the-modern-zombie/

24 minutes ago, Mike. said:

The law has since changed, but back then you had to publish a copyright notice with the work so that people knew it was copyrighted.  So even though it should have been protected, they forgot to put a copyright notice on the title card, which effectively made it public domain.  

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2011/10/10/how-a-copyright-mistake-created-the-modern-zombie/

Thanks!  I've heard Romero say in an interview "if I would have done it right, we'd be doing this interview at my villa in the south of France". I never knew the full backstory.

Just now, mds2 said:

Thanks!  I've heard Romero say in an interview "if I would have done it right, we'd be doing this interview at my villa in the south of France". I never knew the full backstory.

Maybe.  there is a little bit of hypothesizing in that statement.  Yes, he (and some other guy) created the characters and, if the characters were copyrighted, then he would get royalties on all the subsequent derivative works.  But if original work were copyright protected there might not be any subsequent derivative works.  

3 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

It's currently at life + 70 years.  It will go up to life + 80 or 90 or 100 years sometime in the next 5 years.  Bet on it.

It's a thorny subject.  On the one hand you would of course not want anyone to be able to just take Marc's stuff.  But what happens if Marc decides to give up woodworking and become a competitive pasta eater and shuts the site down?  Or if he's just passed on and his kids have no interest in woodworking or keeping the content available?  Even if the current life + 70 term stayed in effect, everyone who was around to be able to be influenced by his work will be dead by the time it's legal for someone else to make it available and thus it will be very unlikely to happen. 

Kind of a morbid topic, but I wonder if Marc has done anything as far as getting his wishes for his content spelled out in case something happens to him.

13 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

As for me, Nicole has clear instructions on what to do if anything ever happens to me. Keep selling Guild videos, turn ads up to 11 on all of our free videos and milk it for all it's worth. :) 

Since you will be out of the picture and Nicole won't have to share the profits, the home office will be relocating to a big yacht sailing around the world called Thanks Marc, No More Sawdust.

I'm curious what the channel was? Seeing as we all probably watch a lot of the same channels, I'm guessing I may be subscribed. I'd rather not support a channel that's openly ignoring copyright and ripping off someone's work.

Not sure if Marc wants us to post it here again, he removed the old thread for a reason... I'll let him tell you the channel name if he wants.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, krtwood said:

It's currently at life + 70 years.  It will go up to life + 80 or 90 or 100 years sometime in the next 5 years.  Bet on it.

It's a thorny subject.  On the one hand you would of course not want anyone to be able to just take Marc's stuff.  But what happens if Marc decides to give up woodworking and become a competitive pasta eater and shuts the site down?  Or if he's just passed on and his kids have no interest in woodworking or keeping the content available?  Even if the current life + 70 term stayed in effect, everyone who was around to be able to be influenced by his work will be dead by the time it's legal for someone else to make it available and thus it will be very unlikely to happen. 

Kind of a morbid topic, but I wonder if Marc has done anything as far as getting his wishes for his content spelled out in case something happens to him.

Yeah that law is going to keep getting extended as long as Disney and DC keep putting all their weight behind it.