I Got a New Domino Joiner... Or Did I?

sheperd80

Went down to the hardwood spot today to grab the DF500 set and the cutter/tenon assortment kit.

Opened the systainers in the store before buying. Looks ok, minor cosmetic blemishes. Crosstop, trimstop, etc are all there, box full of cutters and tenons. "Is this used?" I asked.

"Nope." says the guy i now hate.

Ok whatever im psyched, lets go home and put pill shaped holes in stuff!

ddb6b369efec34f39f6956c18f8fe36b.jpg

f2402bde620ae71a8972c7f25459495d.jpg

Ok got some tenons, cutters already installed (hmm).... just need the cord... wheres the Effing cord? Of course the dealer is closed. No cord.

I almost believed for a second that Festool was not above selling tools without cords. They are Festool after all. Online browsing tells me this kit comes with a plug-it cord... i look closer at the joiner and see more minor scratches and signs of use, and no cord..

Hopefully i wont have trouble returning it tomorrow and taking my $$ elsewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I know that everyone who pays good money for any product wants the total experience to be a pleasant one.

You may well have reason to complain but before you do, here are some of my experiences from working in a retail outlet that sells Festool.

Plug it leads do fail and people buy replacement ones all the time. The odd unscrupulous person may remove a lead from a brand new unit that is sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to buy it and walk out the door with it rather than pay for it.

I have seen many new domino machines with small marks, particularly on the base plate and now and then on the upper body.

I have also seen grease here and there and usually from not being cleaned totally after assembly.

One way to see if it has been sold prior is to try to register the machine for warranty. If the web site doesn't accept the info then it has been registered before. Is the registration card still in the box or did the dealer say they would register for you (Which is the preferred way In Australia). If there is no card in the box, the TNR and serial numbers are on the side of the machine and you can register that way. 

Alternatively, you can contact Festool direct and give them the serial number and ask if it has been registered prior to the date you purchased it.

I hope this is of some help to you and your experience with the machine out weighs any purchase headaches.

• Like 1

I think the metal tab was the old way and the plastic stops are the new way. I just bought a domino and it has the plastic tabs.

Sucks to hear about the cord being missing. My new domino had a couple broken parts when i got it home. Nothing important but it made me question the tool. The next day the dealer made it right.

7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

If the idiot doesn't refund it, report it to festool.  They are very picky about their retailers

Agreed.  When I pay premium prices I expect a premium product AND premium service from anyone involved with the sale and support.  The purveyors of such products are sometimes seen as nazi-ish in their expectations of their retailers; controlled discounts and promotions, restrictions on authorized service and so forth.  They have to be.  Smart consumers will not pay top dollar for "Cletus' Tool Bin" retailing experience.  Speak with your wallet.

___ rant off ;-)

• Like 2

Don't sweat it, you have 30 days to return it with Festools 30 day policy. Dave made a good point that it could be someone that snatched the plug-it while on the shelf. If you think this dealer is crooked and selling used tools as new, definitely return it and buy from toolnut or Bob Marino. These seem to be the preferred dealers in the US to most guys on the FOG.

As for the paddle stops, those are the right ones. Not as good as the df700 imo.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

There's no way in hell I'd accept anything but a sparkling pristine brand new unit for my 800 zillion dollars.  Festool is way too expensive to accept less.  And they're fairly delicate instruments...not a chance I want some moron fumbling around with mine.  It's marred and missing a cord...that's used in my book.  Call me picky.

The story I got about Rockler was that they didn't follow Festool's promotional protocol.  Meaning, they would offer a discounted price before any other retail outlet.  Obviously Festool doesn't like this because they want total control so they can screw the consumer full and proper.  Apparently Rockler did this repeatedly until Daddy took away the candy.  Well done, Rockler.  Ya bonehead.

• Like 1

There's no way in hell I'd accept anything but a sparkling pristine brand new unit for my 800 zillion dollars.  Festool is way too expensive to accept less. 

This is exactly how i feel about it.

I removed the fence for a closer look as suggested above and there is a small buildup of dust where the cutter becomes a shaft. Also there is a faint rattling in the fence handle, as if a tiny plastic piece has come loose inside. Add to that the missing cord and scratches and im calling it used. It couldve been a display that got dropped, used for a project and returned, whatever, it makes no difference to me.

There was a carpenter there doing some trim work. While they put my order together i talked to him about his Kapex. Apparently the store was lending it to him for the job so he could cut inside. Then he proceeded to show me a table he built them using a domino joiner. At the time it didnt occur to me that he may have used my domino for that job...

Thanks for all the input. Ill let u guys know how it turns out. Its a shame because theyre the only dealer in town.

I would find the small wrench used to change the cutter and pop open the little lever that unlocks it. Slide it out and check for any dust inside and look closely at the cutter to see if there are any signs of use.

2ea02354cc5d2f832483171539f645c0.jpg

Thanks micks. Theres dust on that little ledge, i found OJs glove!

On a side note, the machining on this unit is terrible. The grinds on the fence and cutters are unbelievable. I was under the impression that part of the exorbitant cost of their tools was for a fine fit and finish. Not the case with this particular unit. Very dissapointing.

Well that is a bit more info than first given.

Yeah Dave, I didnt have much time last night, but now that ive looked more closely the red flags are piling up. I understand what you were saying, and if it were just a missing cord and a few blemishes i could live with it. But this is too much.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

You could try to register the tool online, if it was previously registered it should come up with an alert... (not sure)

I'd find a local dealer (Woodcraft, ect...) If they don't have it in stock, BobMarino is who I buy from. Free shipping and no tax (not the deciding factor, but it doesn't hurt). The only thing about buying from an online source is return shipping may not be free if you are unhappy with the tool.

Throw it back in the systainer and return, and since you don't need any reason within the 30 days, if they give you any lip, call festool directly.  Dealers can use the item in store as a demo and still sell as new (not allowed to discount) if it is the last model and customer knows upfront, but most will give a good cleaning.  Get your money back and order from festoolproducts or Bob.  I prefer festoolproducts. 

Dust accumulation I suppose is the deal breaker there. Otherwise, there could have been justifiable  reasons. The metal on the baseplate scratches if you look at it. The plug-it could have just been snatched by an employee looking to make right on another purchase earlier, but if the employee doesn't know enough about the product to recognize that a cord should be included, shop somewhere else.

I like my Woodcraft store I go to, but Festool experts they are not. I make it a point to educate myself before I arrive.