Shop walls ... If you could choose

bushwacked

I'm going with 5/8 osb, and painting them. . Something.  Haven't figured color yet. Will proabably be in the white spectrum.  

If cost allowed,  plywood would be preferred but is way more spendy.

If I was going for perfect,  I would proabably go wood. A buddy has an accent wall on his boat made of Ipe. It's beautiful and tough.  

Edited by Brendon_t

+1 for OSB painted white. I believe I went with 5/8". Can post some pictures if you'd like though I'm sure you've seen plenty. Like others have said, I went with OSB over drywall for sake of durability and ability to hang stuff.

That is a  reasonable approach, but I figure that drywall is fine for hanging stuff on.  Just use screws into the studs where you need more sturdy mounting.  Then when you take stuff down you have only screw holes that can be spackled in a few seconds each.  It can always be made like new with a bit of patching even where it gets banged up.

• Like 1

I like that T&G Keggers has on his walls .  Think I would do that or T1-11 .  I like drywall but don't like the rest of the work that comes with it , taping and mudding . 

If the walls and ceiling aren't insulated I would do that for sure ,in this part of the country it's worth the money . 

Insulation is a given! Kent's is off the wall, figuratively speaking. That wall calls for a big screen and a bar, beautiful!  Osb sure needs a lot of grain filler and primer. Screws pull out of mdf almost as bad as rock, not quiet. Sheet rock would be my choice and do as my wife did and find a stud! Did I say that I liked Keggers wall?

Edited by K Cooper
  • Like 1

As far as money and convenience I have always gone with 7/16 osb painted white but like the looks of drywall better ... The v match pine looks great on walls I see...I have some left over for a ceiling job and been thinking about installing it on one wall that has no covering in my shop..Mabe just spray a quick lacquer on them first...

My shop (was previously a garage) has plastered walls and ceiling (actual hand troweled plaster) painted whitish.

It's a flat/solid/stable surface but not the best for mounting anything to the walls. I had to upgrade my stud finder to get a unit that could detect the studs beneath the plaster...

To me the biggest issue with shop wall is to have lots of free wall space - for lumber racks, cabinets, etc.  My shop has 3 LARGE windows, 2 garage doors (over 8' each) and both an exterior and interior (into the house) man door. These eat up a lot of wall real estate.  My advice, make sure you have lots of usable space on the walls.