Ridgid compact router runs hot

AndyF

I picked up a new Ridgid compact router. I used it with a 1.5" long flush trimming bit to trim 3/4" thick hard maple edging on six long plywood shelves (about 58" long each). There was rarely more than 1/32" to trim off. After doing one shelf, I noticed that the pilot bearing and bit were too hot to touch. (I tried this because the air blowing out from the bit area seemed extremely hot.) No shopvac was used.

I also ran the router without a bit for 1-2 minutes, and that also heated the collet to untouchable degrees F.

Other than that, it's a great router. I can still return it to the store and get my money back or exchange it for a Makita compact router.

I'm concerned that the heat is going to mess with the bit metal and maybe cause problems with some woods (burning in cherry maybe).

Is the heat an issue?

Maybe the router will run cooler after more use due to wear reducing friction of tight parts?

Edit: One more observation: Running all 6 shelves successively through a 1/4" piloted roundover bit (1/2" collet) in a table-mounted DeWalt plunge router with shopvac resulted in a bit which didn't even seem warm.

• Like 1

Ridgid makes great pipe wrenches. That's all I think I need to say.

Edit: Actually, that probably isn't fair, since I hear good things about the table saw. They also have a great oscillating sander in the price group, despite the first ones having a motor issue. My point is, woodworking tools isn't their forte. They don't invest near as much R&D for woodworking tools as they do piping tools. I personally steer clear of anything they offer that isn't for the piping industry. Makita has a very solid reputation when it comes to routers and I would trade up while you still can.

• Like 2

I think Ridgid makes some good quality tools.  Not everything they make, but on a case by case basis, they have some gems.  I outgrew my 15'ish year old Ridgid table saw but it was a solid machine.  I have their 6 inch jointer and it's just OK.

That said, the Makita compact router is a very nice little router.  I'd return the overheating Ridgid.  Try another Ridgid, or upgrade to the Makita.

• Like 1

At $99 you are in the range of a number of quality small routers.  The Ridgid, Bosch and Makita have the small form factor without being really small like the "trim" routers that are targeting the countertop/laminate folks. 

The Bosch Colt and the DeWalt 611 get pretty chunky for laminate trimming but, certainly pack more punch for extended use on wider/deeper cuts.  My Colt can get pretty warm when I am plowing dados using the plunge base to step down to full depth.  This means I make the run 2 or 3 times so the run time is higher than edge profiling.

Any router bit will heat up after a lot of cutting so you have to ask - is the collet getting hot and heating the cutter or is it the the way around?

• Like 1

Return it.

The router could be a dud, could need some breaking in, or it could work like it is for the foreseeable future. Either way, I would ditch it and try another router. It can't be good that it's running that hot under no load and I just wouldn't have the patience to wait for my collet and bits to cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janello said:

Ridgid makes great pipe wrenches. That's all I think I need to say.

Edit: Actually, that probably isn't fair, since I hear good things about the table saw. They also have a great oscillating sander in the price group, despite the first ones having a motor issue. My point is, woodworking tools isn't their forte. They don't invest near as much R&D for woodworking tools as they do piping tools. I personally steer clear of anything they offer that isn't for the piping industry. Makita has a very solid reputation when it comes to routers and I would trade up while you still can.

The Ridgid power tools that HD sells are not produced by the same company that makes the plumbing tools. That company only has purchased a license to use the name from the plumbing tool company.

The router is a dud. Return it.

10 minutes ago, drzaius said:

The Ridgid power tools that HD sells are not produced by the same company that makes the plumbing tools. That company only has purchased a license to use the name from the plumbing tool company.

The router is a dud. Return it.

Interesting. I have nothing to support this statement but I doubt everything ridgid in home depot is farmed out. They do sell quite a few of their plumbing tools so, I would think the miter saw and compressor and larger ticket items would be  real ridgid factory items. 

It doesn't suprise me though, since I know kohler and moen faucets they have are knock offs.

1 minute ago, Janello said:

Interesting. I have nothing to support this statement but I doubt everything ridgid in home depot is farmed out. They do sell quite a few of their plumbing tools so, I would think the miter saw and compressor and larger ticket items would be  real ridgid factory items. 

It doesn't suprise me though, since I know kohler and delta faucets they have are knock offs.

I can't remember the source, but it said that all the non-plumbing tools, ie the orange ones are just using the Ridgid name by license. That kinda rings true because the plumbing tools are built to a very rugged standard. The orange tools, while mostly pretty good, clearly are not in the same league.

I purchased one earlier this year to use in a box joint jig and I thought the same thing it runs pretty hot. Having said that its a nice little router and hasn't been an issue that I am aware of. I also have a PC, two Bosch's, and just picked up the Dewalt with the plunge base. If I only could have one it would be the Dewalt but I picked the Bosch's up for like $45 -50 ea and they are great for edge trimming I keep a small round over in one and a champfer in the other. One can never have to many routers..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drzaius said:

I can't remember the source, but it said that all the non-plumbing tools, ie the orange ones are just using the Ridgid name by license. That kinda rings true because the plumbing tools are built to a very rugged standard. The orange tools, while mostly pretty good, clearly are not in the same league.

Techtronic Industries(TTI) holds the license to manufacture power tools under the RIDGID name.  This has been the case since September of 2003 and IMO the product line has gone steadily downhill since then.  I own several RIDGID tools including the router in question but most are older versions of what is available today and I've been happy with the ones I have.

FWIW, TTI is also the owner of several other tool companies such as Milwaukee, Ryobi, and AEG to name a few.  They do not own RIDGID tools and are only licensed to use the RIDGID Trademark.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dave's Not Here said:

Techtronic Industries(TTI) holds the license to manufacture power tools under the RIDGID name.  This has been the case since September of 2003 and IMO the product line has gone steadily downhill since then.  I own several RIDGID tools including the router in question but most are older versions of what is available today and I've been happy with the ones I have.

FWIW, TTI is also the owner of several other tool companies such as Milwaukee, Ryobi, and AEG to name a few.  They do not own RIDGID tools and are only licensed to use the RIDGID Trademark.

That's some good info Dave. Thanks for sharing that.

I have gone through many small trim routers over the last 40 years . Bosch and Porter Cable made good routers for many years. My current favorite is the Dewalt. I've routed over 2 miles of laminate edges with it and it's still going strong. Running it off and on constantly for 6 to 8 hours a day it does get pretty warm but never so hot I can't handle the collet & change a bit. The LED lights do improve the view.

• Like 1

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I think I'm going to go to Home Depot and see if I can exchange it for one which doesn't run hot. I'll test it in the store before buying. If the first 1-2 others also run hot, I'll just get the Makita which is also at the same store. The Ridgid does have a nice fine depth adjustment which I hate to give up.

• 1 month later...