Got anti-fatigue mat overload - help me purge

estesbubba

So 2 years ago when I built my shop I went a little overboard with anti-fatigue mats thinking that putting them everywhere would be good for my feet. Well they probably are good for my feet buy they are a PITA when it comes to cleaning the shop plus I have to watch everywhere I step. I have to sweep all the dust off the mats, then pick them all up and sweep again, then try and remember how they all go back together, so I'm looking to purge a few (or a lot). I'm thinking anywhere you stand in place they make sense like the workbench, bandsaws, router table, and drill press. Areas where you're moving back and forth like the table saw, jointer, planer, and drum sander I'm thinking of getting rid of. The assembly table might be a good place to keep mats. What do you guys think and where do you like to use mats? 

The other thing I thought about is getting a vacuum to clean the shop instead of using a broom which would make it easier (maybe) leaving the mats. 

I think good socks and comfortable shoes make a big difference and the mats help a little. Since I'm walking all over the place in the shop I'm still on a lot of concrete. Here is my mat overload.

8309A379-C893-4DF3-8A46-9EBA50D38741_zps

E5E09640-1228-445E-ADBD-CCE417A59B7B_zps

A5E2A654-6425-4667-A53F-49CED822BEFC_zps

358AB573-E393-4E93-BE99-87185D4499CB_zps

BD114803-CC58-4A37-B33D-0D17122DAA47_zps

• Like 1

I use 2 large mats in my shop and they're located in front of the bench I do most of my work at.  That's it!

I do have to pick them up to do a good shop cleaning but, for everyday cleanups, I just sweep them off when I sweep the floor.  FWIW, I have the Rockler matts that I got for Christmas and they work well.

• Like 2

I have 2 mats 1 on each side of my bench.  I installed a central vac through a dust deputy that handles all of my shop vacuuming needs.  My building is 70ft long and I have it plumbed with pvc and  blast gates so all I need to do move the hose to the area I am working.  I really don't like shop vacs just because they take up to much space and I always trip over the things.  I have a CT mini but it is stored and I can't remember when I last used it.  Using the central vac makes cleaning the floor easy and I don't have to lift the mats. Add in that it handles the DC for my miter saw, router table, drum, oscilating, ros sanders, and all of the other Festool stuff, makes it money well spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodenskye said:

Mike, if I had the room, I would probably place by the bench and assembly table.  These areas make the most sense if you drop a chisel or something, you have some protection.  If you keep where they are, I would get a shop vac to clean them. 

Good point about dropping - as my wife says I'm very accident prone. 

I had mats all over, then I got rid of them because they were a PITA, then I bought more because my knees and back got achy over the course of days and weeks, now I live with them and this:

36134-01-1000.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-floor-sweep-system

I double-stick-taped my mats to the concrete floor, which helps when I'm either sucking with the DC or blowing with the backpack blower.  Either way, the mats are a PITA but still worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

As a matter of principle, mats placed strategically around the shop is a great idea.  It can be a PITA but they do serve a good purpose.  I placed mats around my workbench mainly to protect any tools that I will certainly drop.  I plan to place a similar perimeter of mats around my assembly table when it gets built.  However, I do wonder about the utility of the mats around all the tools because, in my case, I do not spend extended periods of time at any one power tool.

Finally, I am not sure I could handle my workshop if I did not vacuum the floor about 1-2 times per week.  Cleaning these mats is a breeze with a shop vac

58 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I just have one big, beautiful Festool mat at my workbench. I don't really clean under it I mostly vacuum my shop so I'm able to clean around it pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Your kiding about the beautiful festool mat..:)

2 x 6 in front of the bench and the tablesaw.  All others seem to have fallen out of favor.  Good tip from Pug on the type of nozzle solving the mat-sucking issue.  I actually vacuum mine and they are not fastened down.  I can't seem to find a picture of it but, I added a couple of little oak runners on my smooth surface nozzle that keeps it from sucking down onto things and maintains airflow.

13 hours ago, Pug said:

I did the entire floor with mats, and left a gap around heavy machinery.  I use a sweep attachment for my shop vac, which cleans great and does not suck up the mats.b42e1d69-b3bf-4a30-a6f2-a76323c70a61_145.jpg

Pug,  where did you get this? Worn out Craftsman mats and barefoot for me.

Well I purged tonight and have mats around the Roubo, assembly table, and in front of router table. I'll see how that goes and what my legs and back feel like. I would never wear them in public but last winter I bought some Sketchers Go Walk shoes and their soles are soft like mats and very comfortable with some nice hiking socks. 

I'm also considering buying this which would make vacuuming really easy. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NASZG8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=ES7HBVPPEQR19YVAGADH&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=439659db-41fa-4a3b-8e0f-31b9d08e4568&pf_rd_i=desktop

10 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Well I purged tonight and have mats around the Roubo, assembly table, and in front of router table. I'll see how that goes and what my legs and back feel like. I would never wear them in public but last winter I bought some Sketchers Go Walk shoes and their soles are soft like mats and very comfortable with some nice hiking socks. 

I'm also considering buying this which would make vacuuming really easy. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NASZG8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=ES7HBVPPEQR19YVAGADH&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=439659db-41fa-4a3b-8e0f-31b9d08e4568&pf_rd_i=desktop

Reminds me of this

13427785_4.jpg

• Like 1

I have to confess I don't own a single mat, but did used to leave shavings from the plane on the floor to cusion my steps,but i was tracking them all through the house so i stopped that.

Good shoes with high quality inserts, especially in the heel make all the difference..

I just don't know how people can be so tidy.. Actually I have tidyness envy..