Are Woodworking Forums Dead

Woodenskye

I would hate to see this place disappear, I am a relatively new woodworker (only really got started last year) and I only really lurk here as I don't feel that I have a lot to contribute (yet), but I learn an awful lot and from the info I get here I have been able to make good informed choices about tool purchases and where to start as a beginner.

Youtube has it's place and I do watch videos from certain content producers, but being able to ask for specific advice (like "how did I screw this up?") give a forum a huge advantage, and as Marc mentioned being able to trawl the history of a forum is far better than Facebook. In fact, I have found the answers to most of the questions I have had by using the search function instead of bothering you fine folk :)

Exactly right, their cloud service is basically a form of managed hosting, catering to their own piece of software. The problems arise for us here when updates come down or errors spring up. It's harder to get their help when you're self-hosted and things just seem to go wrong more often. 

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I'm kinda shocked that there are that few suporters. I wish more people realized what a bargain the $20/year is. How much is it advertised?

It's now advertised with a static ad at the top right of the forum home page. I try not to hit people over the head with it. I also put up a post once in a while in the general forum about supporting the forum. 

As for their cloud service, it's basically a form of managed hosting, catering to their own piece of software. The problems arise for us here when updates come down or errors spring up. It's harder to get their help when you're self-hosted and things just seem to go wrong more often. 

8 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

It's now advertised with a static ad at the top right of the forum home page. I try not to hit people over the head with it. I also put up a post once in a while in the general forum about supporting the forum. 

Maybe we need a "break even" meter where the add is to prompt people to donate when we're falling short?

35 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Moving from LAMP to Microsoft will NEVER be cheaper...

Says who? .Net Core has been decoupled from the MS operating system. A good majority of MS products and tech is now open source. They worked for years and years on this stuff. You don't need a SQL license to run .net either. Create a good database abstraction layer (which any programmer with more than a couple of years experience is doing anyway) and you can swap in whatever db you want - as you feel like it. Don't think MySQL is beefy enough? PostGreSQL still exists. MariaDB? Good enough for Google. Even with SQL licensing, unless you are sitting on a dedicated box and dropping 20k on a license per environment, you can go with a service such as go daddy - pay $9.99/month and you get one free MSSQL database and unlimited mysql db's. 

I'm not going to say i'm unbiased, as .net is absolutely what I do for a living, but I don't think the cost difference is significant nowadays. I have hosting in both LAMP (bluehost) and .net (GoDaddy) and the price is roughly the same. Only reason I pay less for LAMP is because I got on the phone and told them it's BS that I've been with them for 12 years and they give new customers the $3/month price but not me. So they gave me $3/month as long as I paid for 3 years in advance hah. 

LAMP and .net are not the only technologies either. A majority of the job postings I get contacted for are NodeJS, Backbone, KnockoutJS, angular - though by far .net is the most in demand. Not that jobs necessarily dictate how someone should pick their hosting service.. :) 

17 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Cliff we are talking about running existing forum software here, not some custom solution that needs developers. I don't think Marc is remotely interested in developing his own forum software.

Where did I indicate anyone is writing custom software? Even php based forums running on mysql and apache can run on windows. Nothing I really said in my previous post had anything to do with this forum software, it was only a response to the idea that LAMP will always be cheaper than MS. This is no longer a true statement. Or at least it's not always true. 

I'm not telling Marc to start developing his own forum software, though if he does I think he should do it in LOLCode. 

8 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

I can't really add anything beyond the great comments others have already posted about the value of this forum, but I did want to let it be known that the picture of Marc's lips is really disturbing and makes me feel weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WEIRD "weird" or NICE! "weird?"

14 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Where did I indicate anyone is writing custom software? Even php based forums running on mysql and apache can run on windows. Nothing I really said in my previous post had anything to do with this forum software, it was only a response to the idea that LAMP will always be cheaper than MS. This is no longer a true statement. Or at least it's not always true. 

I'm not telling Marc to start developing his own forum software, though if he does I think he should do it in LOLCode. 

We were talking about reducing forum costs... Other than that, honestly, I find the discussion boring, sorry.

I have been a member of this forum for a while, and it is my absolute favourite place to go online!  I have belonged to other forum boards in the past, but this forum is really my only "active membership".

This forum is filled with like minded, helpful people.  I would be very sad if something were to happen and this forum ceased to be.

Besides the plethora of information available here, I have been heavily influenced by the wonderful projects and ideas presented here.  I also love the unrestrained sharing of information - if someone has a better way to do something, they will share it and not horde their idea!

Thanks to all the great members here - you make this a fun place to check out everyday!

• Like 1

The quality of the people and the input will keep the good forums alive.  And this is one of those forums.  I am one of the least "connected' people I know.  Outside of watching an occasional You Tube video this forum is my online presence.  I don't even do Facebook.

Thanks to all of you and especially to the moderators who help keep things from straying too far and who maintain the quality.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike. said:

patrick I agree with everything you said (I think) but have you been day drinking or taking speed? Holy cow that is a rant! 

hahaha not day drunk, just written over the course of an hour or so with a lunch break disjointing the session. Im at the office, which inherently makes me one step from a serious rant on the best of days. In all honesty, the youtube scene is something worthy of a rant. It is so dumb how these rank novices make a video and 18 months later most proclaim themselves as end all be all experts. The worst part is they truly believe they are experts because they get 30k views on their videos. In reality, most are spitting out the same regurgitated information that they heard/read from another source with their sawstop behind them. I dont find much new information being distributed by that scene. Instead, it is the same information chewed up and spit out 100 times over. Go through the journal/showcase sections here and you will see more talent and knowledge than 90% of youtube. I havent youtubed wwing videos in a year or two, but i do appreciate frank's videos for their entertainment value. He has his own style, and the focus is clearly on the videography and not woodworking. He doesnt hit you over the head repeatedly with a dozen plugs, or "if you like what you see, click the subscribe button". Why I like Frank and dislike the rest of the lot come down to one thing, being genuine. I view the majority of the wwing youtube crowd as mildly disingenuous, which upsets me enough that i rant about it on a forum  : )

Despite my last two tin foil posts, im interested in people building a community to problem solve, share knowledge, and help each other grow. I hope current and future participants are more interested in the aforementioned concepts compared to another rehashed video on making a sheet good cart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

In all honesty, the youtube scene is something worthy of a rant. It is so dumb how these rank novices make a video and 18 months later most proclaim themselves as end all be all experts. The worst part is they truly believe they are experts because they get 30k views on their videos. In reality, most are spitting out the same regurgitated information that they heard/read from another source with their sawstop behind them. I dont find much new information being distributed by that scene. Instead, it is the same information chewed up and spit out 100 times over.

I do have to take exception here. Steve, Jay, April, Matt, Jimmy DiResta... Over and over again I've heard them all state that they don't consider themselves experts, and are only sharing their opinions/experience or "one way of doing things". I haven't noticed anyone saying theirs is the "only way". They are providing free content, both educational and entertaining. I learned how to sharpen better from watching Matt Cremona, and how to restore a hand plane from Paul Sellers, though he does get closer to the "only way" type of content.

• Like 2