Hall Cabinet with Evolving Design

wnaziri

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, wnaziri said:

Nope.

Sande and wiped with a cloth.

Could the difference be that sanding leaves dust behind in the grain while a plane doesn't? Part of the finishing process would be cleaning the board which would remove the dust and the result is both boards look similar from that point on. Just a guess. I don't own a single hand plane and I hope to never go down that rabbit hole.

-E

10 hours ago, Mike. said:

Think about cutting grass with a lawn mower vs a weed wacker.  A lawn mower sheers the grass all in a certain direction - you can get that outfield effect which really reflects light nicely.  A weed wacker is just a random bunch of chewing.  When you plane, you shear everything in the same direction, leaving a nicer surface that reflects light evenly.  

Thanks for the concise summary!  Ditto.

10 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

I don't own a single hand plane and I hope to never go down that rabbit hole.

-E

Elroy, I have no business talking you or any into using hand planes.  I will just tell you my experience from the last year.  I had owned 2 planes that I bought at Lowes a long time ago.  Lowes must have had a sale.  I had concluded that planes were not for me.  When I got into woodworking last year, I started listening to FWW podcast.  They always waxed eloquently about the virtues of planes.

To do an experiment, I bought some PMV-11 blades for my horrible Hand planes so I could see what FWW boys were talking about.  Lo and behold, even those lousy planes worked.  I then learned how to sharpen my blades, which really drove home the message: planes are amazing tools.  There is a reason they have been used throughout history of woodworking.

I now own a nice selection of Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen planes and love each one for what each one does.  They are very versatile tools.  In addition to getting absolutely amazing surface prep, I will give an example of their use that I would have never imagined last year at this time: I am doing 10 drawers for my workbench.  I am trying to keep the fit and finish very tight.  After building each drawer, I have been able to plane each side and edge to allow each drawer to fit perfectly.  I am not sure I could do it nearly as well with any other tool at my disposal (and I have lots of fun toys these days, hee, hee!).

Suggestion: You are in Charlotte, which is not close to me but not too far.  If you ever come to the east coast of NC, message me and you can play and experiment with my planes.  You may one day like them as much as I do now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

I don't own a single hand plane and I hope to never go down that rabbit hole.

-E

This entire hobby is a rabbit hole that only leads to your wallet!  However, hand planes do improve your ability to produce killer furniture!  I'm primarily a power tool person but, I find myself reaching for my hand tools on nearly every project as I get deeper in the hobby.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Is the dark around the panels all shadow-line or did you actually color it darker?

Those are actually shadow-lines.  

When I first began thinking about making this cabinet, I bought raised panel bits.  After doing some samples, I REALLY did not care for it.  It seemed dated.  So, I elected to clean up the look with flat panels.  

• Like 1