Sawstop owners

18 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

lol I never understood this concept people came up with that having a SawStop would make a user careless around the table saw. I mean come on! Its still a huge, deadly looking, spinning blade! NO im not LESS afraid of it! And NO I dont want to find out how well or even IF the flesh detection feature works! I just wanted a highest quality built saw with the best dust collection and the added bonus that hopefully itll save my hand should I ever do something dumb. Still have a solid respect and fear of the saw.

All of this plus - Getting lazy and sloppy in you work habits can still create other dangerous situations like kick backs.  It is an "added" safety feature not and "instead of" feature.

Plus I don't think you want to get stupid or lazy in your work habits and find out you ended up having the one defective brake system that SawStop made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

Do you Saw Stop guys feel you still have as much fear and respect for your saw as you did before your purchase?  I wonder if I would.

I agree with ben_r_. The 'flesh sensing' technology was just an added feature. I have seen the speed of the safety feature and do not want to see it work on meat. I am always 'talking to myself' about things like loose long sleeves and if the wood begins to bind as far as what my actions should be.

• Like 1

When I got my saw, the safety feature was only a minor factor in the decision. The main things were the quality of build, effective dust collection, & easy to change riving knife. It's definitely nice to know that the flesh sending feature is there though.

The biggest difference, safety-wise is having a riving knife & a good guard. My last saw had neither & now I can't imagine not having them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, estesbubba said:

I act like the technology isn't even there. I mean, who wants to walk in the house and have to explain to your wife that you just crapped your pants?

Or worse, explain to her that you have to go out and buy a new blade and cartridge.  

4 hours ago, Rex Edgar said:

On a similar note, honestly, how many Sawstop owners use the plastic blade guard? I find that it gets in the way more often than not. I am also pretty consistent in lowering the blade below deck height after use if I am done for a time.

You talking the rod that attaches to the blade guard to make sure your blade is high enough? If so it was annoying and I removed mine also. 

On a similar note, honestly, how many Sawstop owners use the plastic blade guard? I find that it gets in the way more often than not. I am also pretty consistent in lowering the blade below deck height after use if I am done for a time.

I have the guard with the dust collection hose attachment and I use it all the time because of the dust collection feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just set mine off for the second time! Both times were due to the miter gauge. While trimming a piece down I decided to cut a 45. Somehow it didn't register that angling the blade would require more clearance for the miter guage.

It was my woodworker 2 blade. It only chips 1-2 teeth. The blade still looks flat. I called forest and it is in transit to be repaired. They will check flatness and repair accordingly

I'll let you know how it goes!

And the cartridge is pretty easy to change.

Interesting thread and a timely one. I just picked up my 3HP PSC this past Friday from my local Woodcraft store. Well local as in 66 miles away. With the promotional deal I opted for the mobile base and the guys suggested getting one with the saw and trade it back in when the one from SawStop arrives as it's far easier to install when putting the saw together in the beginning. Of all the equipment I have installed and assembled over the years, this machine is by far the best documented and diagrammed I've ever seen. The hardware packs are color coded and numbered so you really have to work hard at messing up.

The hardest part was getting the saw off the back of my pickup truck and in the house. The saw itself comes in a number of boxes but the main one is large, very heavy, and mine was on a pallet. Once on the ground you can unpack and get a better handle on things. I used my folding truck ramps and two of us slid the carton down carefully. After unpacking the carton, we assembled the mobile base and then brought the saw into the house. You may be able to assemble the mobile base by yourself but I recommend at least a second person to accomplish this part, especially when it comes to standing the saw upright.

Assembly is very straight forward, did I mentioned well documented? I needed my wife's assistance for two parts: attaching the table extensions (heavy) I needed her to start at least one of the 4 bolts, and 2nd was the rail attachments (long & heavy). Had I used a bit more grey matter I could have turned the extension tables vertical to the saw, started one of the inner bolts and then rotated to finish the other 3. Read that somewhere on this site. On the rails I did use my outfeed roller to hold level but I couldn't move, hold to align and install the bolts. 

No first cuts yet. I've gone through both the saw and fence books to make sure all adjustments were done. I did get the Freud Fusion general purpose blade as the one that comes with the saw is maybe not so good but can get a feel for the saw with it for now. I did get a spare cartridge due to the 2+ hour round trip to replace.

As far as feeling safer or less attentive, never. My Farther-in-Law cut three fingers almost off many years ago and he was always one careful person. Fortunately they were able to save them. Wasn't pretty but was very functionable all the way till his passing, 3 months shy of 100. And he did continue with his woodworking well into his late 80's, at least another 20 years or so.

As for cord, it does come with the standard 220V 15 mp plug. It's not as long as I needed but I did get the proper extension cord for it. If you rewire just make very sure you have the ground wire connected properly or the safety system may not work or work properly. I had to pull a new circuit for my shop area and the standard 220V 15 amp receptacle works. If you're not comfortable/qualified with electrical wiring, the diagrams are in the book, get someone qualified to do it for you. Far better safe than sorry. Directions and diagrams for wiring in a longer cord directly to the switch are in the book along with wire gauge sizes depending on length of run. The idea of using twist connectors to extend the cord is an excellent suggestion. 

Sorry for the long post. 

• Like 1

Great info guys! Thanks. I typically do not like blade guards as I like to see the blade at all times. I have the general overarm dust guard on my current pm66 but rarely use it because one it impaired my ability to see the blade and two I didn't think the dust collection worked all that well. Based on reviews and comments here I will be giving it a try and see if the dust collection makes it worth it if not I can sell it since I got it free through the promo. I also went with the ICS base got it on eBay for $228 hopefully it's the real deal it said it was new and matched the sawstop part number fingers crossed lol

As for the cord; according to the manual, if 12/3 wire is used, a fairly long (it's in the book, can't remember the exact length{maybe 100'}) extension cord can be safely used. I used two single gang boxes with grounging and the proper plug. I double-checked with customer service that I read the information correctly, they concurred. I have three machines that use 220 and one outlet in the shop.

Yea the over arm dust collector and dust collection blade guard (the one that comes with the 3HP PCS) are both a necessity IMO. They work great. I did modify the overarm setup though. I cut the hoses shorter (they are made to support the 52" rails and I have a 36" so there was no need for the excess length) and I replaced the 45 degree T joint they send it with, with a more proper 45 degree wye. System works awesome! Also yes upgrading to the ICS mobile base was also a must for me. I have a small shop and need all the mobility I can get. Being able to pivot the saw any which way has proven to be very useful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, pkinneb said:

I also went with the ICS base got it on eBay for $228 hopefully it's the real deal it said it was new and matched the sawstop part number fingers crossed lol

Yeah that didn't work out to well but Ebay made me whole. I ended up going to Acme tools locally to pick one up. Like  a lot of tools it was expensive but it works really well and to me was worth the $350 I ended up spending to get it.

So I have another question for you folks? How often do you shut the main power switch off? never, when you leave the shop, etc?

You unplug everything in your shop daily whenever you leave?

Absolutely. My "shop" is a corner of the garage, where my kid and his friends pass through regularly. He's 18 now, but I made a habit to never leave a machine energized when he was younger. All my stuff is 120v, so unplugging isn't a huge deal.