Bookcase with ladder

Marcus Hand

First, Marcus the bookcase looks awesome.

Second, basic electrical is straightforward but it can get complicated.  Please tell me if I'm missing something.  If we wanted to control those lights with a separate single gang box then we could get the source from an existing outlet.  From the existing outlet we go to a dimmable switch, then to a dimmable transformer and then to his LED lights.  Use 12-2 from the source to the switch and 12-2 out the switch to the transformer.  Then from the transformer to the lights with your lower gauge stuff.    

And I suppose the same concept applies when installing under cabinet LED lighting but you'd be getting your source from kitchen GFCI outlets and I'm not sure of the codes.    

On 7/1/2017 at 4:20 AM, sjk said:

Great job on the bookshelf!  Are the sections anchored to each other and the wall?  What keeps it from tipping when someone is on the ladder? 

Yeah, the sections are all anchored to each other. I went from underneath on the bottom cabinets and connected heavy screws from the cabinets to the bookcases. Then I have some heavy duty L-brackets that I anchored to the studs, just in case. They probably aren't needed, but I get nervous thinking of wife being on the ladder. 

44 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

First, Marcus the bookcase looks awesome.

Second, basic electrical is straightforward but it can get complicated.  Please tell me if I'm missing something.  If we wanted to control those lights with a separate single gang box then we could get the source from an existing outlet.  From the existing outlet we go to a dimmable switch, then to a dimmable transformer and then to his LED lights.  Use 12-2 from the source to the switch and 12-2 out the switch to the transformer.  Then from the transformer to the lights with your lower gauge stuff.    

And I suppose the same concept applies when installing under cabinet LED lighting but you'd be getting your source from kitchen GFCI outlets and I'm not sure of the codes.    

Each LED reel has an end that has a female connection that will connect right to a transformer. I cut these off all but one of the reels, since I was stringing them all together. I also bought a cheap remote and it has a switch that goes between the transformer and the female LED connection. I only had to worry about dealing with the 22/2 wire connecting up the strips. It took me a few tries to get the hang of soldering (I had only soldered one thing before this), but I found it to be really fun. Now I want to put these lights everywhere! 

I also found that the sticking power of the LED strips wasn't always great. So I ended up putting the heavy duty 3M double sided tape on each end of each strip. That stuff holds really well. 

On 7/4/2017 at 2:27 PM, ClassAct said:

I'm conflicted about that video. The presenter looks like my wife, which is awesome. BUT ... as Marshall McLuhan noted, the medium is the message. Cheesecake doesn't teach, it detracts, and I'm pretty sure it would drive off any women who were looking for a straightforward, confidence-building project that shows immediate results. As a test, I showed the vid to my wife, who is a very competent DIY'er. She rolled her eyes and immediately tuned out.

In case you think I'm making something out of nothing, imagine if the vid was reversed, with beefcake in a Speedo installing LEDs. Would you take it seriously?

Seriously? Maybe not, but make it Will Ferrell and then only codgers like me would roll their eyes. Sometimes it is not about serious. I am not interested in the video posted, just addressing logic. 

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Nice even gaps in inset cabinetry says it all !  Just a little bit retentive ?

Very nice looking bookcase !

Thanks! I struggled with the drawers more than anything. The undermount slides seemed to have a lot of play in them at first and that was giving me headaches. Next time I think I might try the blum slides. They are pricey, though.

The Blum slides are pricey because they are worth it. They have more and better adjustments. If you use their jig to drill pilots for the locking device screws and the hole on the back of the drawer things go very well. Mounting the slides level and parallel plus square to the face of the case plus the small amount of set back is crucial.

I spent 2 full days reinstalling every Blum slide in a kitchen that a remodeling contractor installed poorly, then a painter made it worse. With all the adjustments on those Blum slides I was able to get everything to line up. With cheaper slides you will have to shim in multiple directions to get the drawer to line up perfectly. If your time is worth anything cheaper slides will cost you more !

• 3 weeks later...