The Wind Bench

treesner

Apologies for the late response guys, This was created using birch plywood laminated together. I built it in pieces and dominoes it all together and shaped the material to flow like the wind caves I came across in the mountains. I'm very happy with the results of this one, hope to make a table soon. Trying to figure what kind of top would match the sculpted/organic legs. I've got some ideas but would be happy to hear your thoughts

On 7/13/2017 at 10:08 AM, G S Haydon said:

To me, this seems original, clever and well executed. A great piece of functional art.

Thank you I appreciate that, i'm definitely trying to figure out the medium between art and furniture. Sometimes I go off and just do pure art sculptures but I really like working the ideas and techniques into something functional for the home as well

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 2:17 AM, Falcon75 said:

Impressive craftsmanship! Are you gonna leave it as is? Or are you gonna coat it with varnish?

Thanks! This has a shellac finish but I don't think that it's strong enough for a seating application now. I might go back, steel wool it nice and smooth and then add a poly top coat. Suggestions on a finish?

On 7/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, bleedinblue said:

I keep coming back to stare at it.  It's a fascinating piece. 

Hey thank you for the kind words, I'm glad it's drawing you in. Mind if I ask what it's conveying to you or what you think you're interested in it?

On 7/10/2017 at 5:30 PM, lewisc said:

Really cool idea. Do you have any process photos?

Thank you, I'll go back and see if I have anything on my phone from the process. I post other works and sometimes in progress photos on my instagram at instagram.com/chrisriesner