Endless oak

wtnhighlander

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

You thought I was kidding, didn't you?

Kids, this is stupid. Don't try it, no matter how cool you think I am...

You're right on the first part, the second part just gave me doubts. But, I gotta hand it to you, you're still country redneck. I didn't know that Delta made a #8.

• Haha 2

To be honest, running that machine upside down across the edge of that plank went surprisingly well. The bed is a few inches longer than my #7 Stanley, so it may have made a flatter surface faster. But it was enough hassle to put up and take down every time I placed the adjoining plank up there for "light check", I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Plus, hand planes let me do the fine tweaks much more easily.

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I was kind of hoping that you'd have made that video public the comment section would be GOLD!, pure youtube gold.

Hope the table is going well i'm excited to see it finished.

I thought about it. I can imagine the safety police would have a field day. Maybe I could preface it with a seriously deadpan, John Walsh style disclaimer.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can't wait to see this all finished up.  are you going to mount the top once it is delivered?

The longer WW thread taps would have been nice in this situation, but I think they are kind of expensive for the number of times you would actually use them.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, wtnhighlander said:

We had an unusually warm day, so I burned some vacation time to work on the table. One big step was milling the slab for the seating bench top. My DW735 tripped its oveload no less than 4 times while planing this.

20180215_161342_HDR.thumb.jpg.191a0bb360021b5eac45f41839577462.jpg

Final thickness after getting it smooth. Not too bad, although I was hoping for a full 2 inches.

20180215_164426_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.b60aeb971b6aa8ce177962b58b184546.jpeg

And here is how it looks on top of the base. The slab still has to be trimmed to length, and some edge treatment done, but its looking like a bench now, at least!

20180215_181341_HDR.thumb.jpg.59356c50060e3c8b27f1fc0ec851f268.jpg

Is this bench stable? If someone sits on one end, does it tip? I'm concerned if you've got a couple people sitting on it, and one gets up to fill their glass, will the guy on the opposite end be deposited on the floor? 

48 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Is this bench stable? If someone sits on one end, does it tip? I'm concerned if you've got a couple people sitting on it, and one gets up to fill their glass, will the guy on the opposite end be deposited on the floor? 

That is a risk, and I have seen it happen on benches of similar design. This one is short enough that it is expected to seat only two. The legs are placed such that it nestles between the table feet when drawn up to the table. The bench weighs near 100 pounds, hopefully it will counterbalance anyone seated short of the very end.

Frankly, I could cut about 3 inches off each end, reducing that risk, and it would still seat two adults, easily. Client's call on that one. Easy to fix later, should he change his mind.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

That is a risk, and I have seen it happen on benches of similar design. This one is short enough that it is expected to seat only two. The legs are placed such that it nestles between the table feet when drawn up to the table. The bench weighs near 100 pounds, hopefully it will counterbalance anyone seated short of the very end.

Frankly, I could cut about 3 inches off each end, reducing that risk, and it would still seat two adults, easily. Client's call on that one. Easy to fix later, should he change his mind.

Looks like you are far enough along you can probably test it out right now, can't you? Just set it down and sit on the end. Personally, I'd test for the worst case scenario, like someone sitting on the end facing the long way.

I've got a bench at my kitchen table and at different times, people sit in every conceivable way. Sometimes people sit for a moment while talking to some who is standing. Or maybe they put their foot on the bench to tie a shoe without bending over. Someone might even stand on the bench to change a light bulb overhead. I've seen all those, and they all exert signifanct downward force that could overturn an unstable design.

In any case, we want to deliver something safe. 

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I am quite certail that the bench will tip if an adult sits on the very end of it. This "feature" has been discussed with the client, who decided to keep the length, anyway.

Good deal. Sorry didn't mean to go into lecture mode, just having one of these benches myself, I've come to really appreciate this "feature"! The bench looks great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put Isaac's fears to rest, I did a "tip test" after the bench was assembled. At 220 lb., I can sit on the end, my weight totally outside the bench legs, and get the other end to slowly rise from the floor. Far from fast enough to be caught off guard. Si I think I'll leave it alone.

FYI - the thing is DONE. Too dark and cramped for good pics in the shop tonight, I hope to get some good ones outside tomorrow. Soooooooo glad this is almost over!

• Like 2