Endless oak

wtnhighlander

7 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

It is looking great now. It's a wide slab but are the blades maybe becoming worn causing excess friction and hence tripping the overload? 

That's a strong possibility. Also, the "cut depth" gauge on the planer seems to be fubar. I was taking nearly 1/8" cuts when it didn't even register.

Glad you found that tip helpful. Here's a pic with the bench sitting on top of the table base, and the completed plank top of the bench. Trimmed to final width & length, lower 2/3 of the edge beveled inward a few degrees, corners rounded with a 3/4" radius that follows the bevel. 3/32" chamfer on top edge.

20180216_182742_HDR.thumb.jpg.8172b09afe2801c3799b702bc4b42647.jpg

Pic #2 shows how the radiused corners follow the bevel. I cut those with a 1" chisel.

20180216_174049_HDR.thumb.jpg.a652fe7b94e59d167ef0af6f3f09d815.jpg

Off topic, but speaking of chisels ... I have three sets. An old Stanley set of Grandpa's, 1/4" to 2" in 1/8 increments. They are decent, but getting a bit stubby. I also have some from my late FIL, a 4-piece Craftsman set of bench chisels, and a 4-piece set of Sheffield Footprint paring chisels. 

I thought the Footprints were supposed to be nice, but the steel is disappointing. The edge fractures and rolls easily. The Craftsman set has a tough edge that stays nice and sharp, but they are too short and fat for paring. What does the collective recommend for inexpensive paring chisels that perform reasonably well? Narex? Something else?

I have a set of These  I am real happy with them.  I have read a number of reviews where the big complaint was the fat handles put I have a little arthritis in my thumbs so the size of the handle is a plus for me.  And what ever the wood is on the handle, it takes a brass mallet well.  The chisel may not be the best metal but when they need it takes less then a minute to bring it back up.

• Like 1

Ross.... Narex does make some paring chisels. But I found that the Narex 1/2" skew chisels work real well for paring. I have them in both left and right hand skew.  Oh bye the way, you can get them at Infinity tools or better yet check out Taylor tools, they have a better selection and much faster shipping than Infinity. And the prices are a tad less. Just a tad.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chet said:

I have a set of These  I am real happy with them.  I have read a number of reviews where the big complaint was the fat handles put I have a little arthritis in my thumbs so the size of the handle is a plus for me.  And what ever the wood is on the handle, it takes a brass mallet well.  The chisel may not be the best metal but when they need it takes less then a minute to bring it back up.

I think that's the first full set I've seen that don't have a 3/4 in it. That's my go to beside my 1/4 an 1/8

• Like 1

I have the current stanley sweatheart chisels, they are a socket chisel so if that's not your style they'd be a no go. I also have some narex mortise chisels and i like the steel on the Stanly quite a bit better. The only reason i say that is i was chopping mortises with the narex in plain wood and the end chipped some where as I've never had that happen to my Stanly ones while chopping mortises.
If it's solely for paring the socket chisels might be nice you could make your own longer handle?

• Like 1

On 17/02/2018 at 5:16 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I thought the Footprints were supposed to be nice, but the steel is disappointing

Yes they used to be good years ago. I picked up a recent one (with a plastic red handle) in a mixed bag of a deceased woodworkers chisels and it is a 1" that had never been used. I honed it and it fractured on first go. I ground it back a bit and rehoned (maybe the edge was brittle) but no it was still brittle. It is stuck in a drawer now and might end up as a paint can opener.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...