Jewelry box guild build

Cliff

Looks like some beautiful material for a present she will treasure.

Careful layout work when using figured and flawed stock can eat up a surprising amount of time.  But it really pays off in the end. Wiping with a damp rag can help you see some of the affect a finish may change the appearance. Alcohol barely raises the grain and evaporates quickly, mix in some water to slow it down. Just a quick wipe with a damp rag, don't put liquid on the board.

7 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Count me in for the ride Cliff, are you going to make both at the same time?

I thought I was originally but now I see that is a bad plan. I'll go all the way to the end or get to the finish stage before starting the second one. I've also not decided on material yet. I want to see if I can find some curly cherry and more figured walnut. We'll see if that is in the budget during the money-sucking-christmas months. 

Cliff, I think the walnut nut glue up looks fantastic! On the male and female dt cuts( you and I are probably the only ones that call them that as i’m Sure there’s another term), I would have tested them on a scrap piece first, but obviously you didn’t have to;)! Good job! 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Cliff, I think the walnut nut glue up looks fantastic! On the male and female dt cuts( you and I are probably the only ones that call them that as i’m Sure there’s another term), I would have tested them on a scrap piece first, but obviously you didn’t have to;)! Good job! 

Oh I did test. :) But it didn't stop me from overshooting my mark by about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch heh. 

My repair to the sliding dovetail socket went ok. I don't think it will be too noticeable. Of course I took a little too much off the shoulder and there is a tiny gap. 

1.thumb.jpg.3329fd969d36ec4de6086cd089ccd7a3.jpg

I took my measurement for the upper divider.

2.thumb.jpg.002e9ce728d2491e73c6738c88818330.jpg

Then I cut it, ruined my piece, and then repeated that process twice more. So what happened first is I took the measurement, made a cut, brought it back, put the piece in the wrong direction - where it looked like about 1/4" too wide, took it back to the saw and cut the material from the actual side. So I measured right side, cut right side, test fit wrong side, measured wrong side, trimmed right side, threw piece out. Wow.

Due to varying degrees of idiocy, I ruined two more pieces. The second, which was no longer figured as I'm out of that material - had metal in it. I am not sure how I managed to avoid dinging my planer blades. So I cut another, managed to undercut it because I foolishly decided that 3/16 x 2 = 1/8. I know that isn't true. I just know it. I don't know what happened there. So I made a 4th piece and finally got it right. At this point I was done in the shop. It was clearly a terrible day for me.

3.thumb.jpg.ac37855525f97e1669d00075d735fd5e.jpg

I think the upper divider not having figure isn't a big deal. Here is the comparison-

4.thumb.jpg.3f286b5bf750d38361c9e3cec338c1a2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2