Just playing around

Ronn W

Not only is it a cool design, but seems really well executed. The roof, chimney, everything. Bank/donation box or bird house do seem like the obvious uses. 

Could also be an awesome presentation box for some other craft, though I'm not exactly sure what, considering the cube shape. Maybe a pocket watch, or something along those lines. 

4 hours ago, mtairymd said:

t.  How did you use a table saw to make the concave walls?

Using miter gauge a a guide, I laid each side flst on the saw table and ran the board very slowly perpendicular to the blade.  First cut less than 1/16" deep.  Rinse and repeat raising the saw blade ever so slightly with each pass.  Similar to how a cove moulding is cut.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Not only is it a cool design, but seems really well executed. The roof, chimney, everything. Bank/donation box or bird house do seem like the obvious uses. 

Thank you, Isaac.

4 hours ago, Llama said:

Looks cool. On the second one make the fingers match the curve. 

I would have to think about how to approach that....challenging idea.

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Using miter gauge a a guide, I laid each side flst on the saw table and ran the board very slowly perpendicular to the blade.  First cut less than 1/16" deep.  Rinse and repeat raising the saw blade ever so slightly with each pass.  Similar to how a cove moulding is cut.

Thank you, Isaac.

Scribe and a large radius on a spindle sander. I like the ideas for it but my favorite would be a cookie jar or candy dish. I love those lifesaver wint-o-green mints.

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Thank you, Isaac.

Couldn't you assemble and glue the box and then do your original method? Though They wouldn't be fingers extending outward, but would match the curve flush.

10 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Gotcha...thanks for the explanation.

You can clamp 2 boards diagonally across the tablesaw with the blade centered between them. Angle will change the width of the cove. Make sure your parts are consistent & slide freely without much play. Use push blocks like Grrrippers. Raise the blade in very small increments. Use a sturdy full kerf blade. Blade stiffeners can help too.  Choose boards carefully, large or loose knots could be dangerous !

I remember reading an article in FWW about all the different variations of coves you can achieve. 

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

Couldn't you assemble and glue the box and then do your original method? Though They wouldn't be fingers extending outward, but would match the curve flush.

Yeah, That would work. I thought that Llama was suggesting having the fingers extend beyond the corners and also trimmed to a curve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Yeah, That would work. I thought that Llama was suggesting having the fingers extend beyond the corners and also trimmed to a curve.

I think you are right. You could do that as well, by just not cutting full depth, but I'm envisioning huge tearout issues.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Isaac said:

ou are right. You could do that as well, by just not cutting full depth, but I'm envisioning huge tearout issues.

Yeah, especially with the oak.   Anyway.........I am picturing my next box....time to try a hexagon with striping...maybe walnut and stained hackberry.  It's kinda fun to  imagine a box and then see if I can figure out how to build it.  I didn't post this one before but it was a challenge.  Note to self - don't use a flash to take furniture pics esp with gnarly grain.  Excuse the saw dust, these pics were just for me.

P1010044.thumb.JPG.8fe54e6f2e2ed1655e7a2c72da2952f7.JPGP1010042.thumb.JPG.c0e6fb057e1b2c3dadda73c138d5514c.JPGP1010043.thumb.JPG.d43fec3683bfecd13c9c338a8fa5bbce.JPG

P1010041.JPG

• Like 2