Grizzly Jointer Vent/Rant

LazarusDB

Excuse me while I share my frustration with Grizzly. Back in August I ordered the G0123RLW table saw and had nothing but a positive experience. For that reason, I almost immediately ordered the G0490X jointer on September 8. When I ordered it I knew it was on backorder and there was no firm date when it would be available. On 9/14 I was informed the jointer should be in on 11/17. Great, not much of a wait at all. Then on 11/27 I was informed it wouldn't be available until 1/12/18...four months after I placed my order. Not great, but I can be patient. Today, I am informed it won't be available until May 1 (8 months after my order date) with the carefully worded email that it's not guaranteed and production delays do occur.  Grizzly has now forced my hand and I'll have to look at another brand like Jet, Powermatic, Laguna, etc. I'm not saying I'll never buy from Grizzly again, and I really enjoy my table saw, but this has left a real sour taste with me. I've emailed the CEO but not expecting anything to come of it.

Very disappointed.

Similar happened to me when I tried ordering a grizzly jointer several years ago. I got lucky though, since my order was through paypal. PayPal doesn't allow items to be on back order, so grizzly didn't get any money from me. :) They called me a few times over the next couple of months, saying it was out of stock, and didn't know when they'd have it but if I gave them my credit card info, they'd be happy to make sure I "had the first one"... 

Anyway... long story short, you're likely better off without it anyway. 

There was a very similar thread on another forum (SMC?) in which the big boss of Grizzly responded with what seamed like some pretty reasonable causes for the back orders that are happening at Grizzly. Seems like some of the products are popular & they can't make them as fast as people want them. It's not as though they are going to have a warehouse full of machinery just waiting for people to buy them.

3 minutes ago, drzaius said:

There was a very similar thread on another forum (SMC?) in which the big boss of Grizzly responded with what seamed like some pretty reasonable causes for the back orders that are happening at Grizzly. Seems like some of the products are popular & they can't make them as fast as people want them. It's not as though they are going to have a warehouse full of machinery just waiting for people to buy them.

I'm racking my brain trying to come up a "pretty reasonable cause" for a customer having to wait 9+ months for anything in this day and age.  Still racking...........

1 minute ago, Dave's Not Here said:

I'm racking my brain trying to come up a "pretty reasonable cause" for a customer having to wait 9+ months for anything in this day and age.  Still racking...........

Well, 9 months is a lot. I never counted them. Still, I can see a sudden uptick in orders for a machine like taking  months to resolve.

2 hours ago, LazarusDB said:

Excuse me while I share my frustration with Grizzly. Back in August I ordered the G0123RLW table saw and had nothing but a positive experience. For that reason, I almost immediately ordered the G0490X jointer on September 8. When I ordered it I knew it was on backorder and there was no firm date when it would be available. On 9/14 I was informed the jointer should be in on 11/17. Great, not much of a wait at all. Then on 11/27 I was informed it wouldn't be available until 1/12/18...four months after I placed my order. Not great, but I can be patient. Today, I am informed it won't be available until May 1 (8 months after my order date) with the carefully worded email that it's not guaranteed and production delays do occur.  Grizzly has now forced my hand and I'll have to look at another brand like Jet, Powermatic, Laguna, etc. I'm not saying I'll never buy from Grizzly again, and I really enjoy my table saw, but this has left a real sour taste with me. I've emailed the CEO but not expecting anything to come of it.

Very disappointed.

I had the same issue, and never got a straight or what I thought was a reasonable explanation.  While I was waiting I looked for an alternative jointer and found the virtually every brand (that I could afford) was out of stock, with the same, very loose, delivery dates.  I went to the Bellingham show room to try and pin them down on a date.  They were very nice, very apologetic, but did not have an explanation for the problem, so I don't know what is causing the delay.  However they did have G0490 (straight knife) model and Shelix helical head in stock.  I bought that jointer and head and ended up a happy camper.  The combined price was just a couple of $ less than their 490x model, the 490 was on sale at the time.  I don't think this is a Grizzly specific problem, and it is very frustrating not being able pin the manufacturers down on a cause.  In the end I am happy with the jointer, but I wish someone from the company would provide an explanation for the cause of the delays.

A lot of different brands of Asian machines use the same castings . The better quality castings are given time to stress relive/age etc. before they are machined.  Or Grizzly is blowing smoke for some reason....  maybe a new model is in the works to fix a known flaw they won't admit exists.

The PM PJ882 will ship in 2 days ;) and it's close to tax return time. 9 Months is a long backorder they would have had to have broken molds or something even still. I get that there might have been an uptake in demand but that wouldn't explain the date getting pushed back constantly. I don't see how if i order today my order is going to effect someone that ordered last October.

9 months is a reasonable wait if they really are slammed. It can be hard to increase production, they probably depend on a lot of small parts from outside vendors, have a limited amount of trained stuff, parts on hand, etc etc etc. 

But a reasonably well-run business knows how delayed they are, and informs their customers before purchases are made.  Bad companies give estimates (aka "lies") in order to make the sale, then they inform you of a "small" delay at some pre-calculated frequency in order to not lose the sale.

4 hours ago, LazarusDB said:

Yes, but not one that I want or am willing to gamble on.

Toms right you have a great selection of used jointer in NH. If you can inspect a jointer before you buy it your way ahead. Invest in a good straight edge if you do. Most Woodshops will benefit have something precision in their shop like a straight edge.

Getting a jointer delivered that I've never seen and paid upfront for sounds like a gamble.

Aj

Having been happy with a G0490X for years I would just wait.  I know it is frustrating but, you get so much jointer for so little money in this particular platform. If you are a home shop user it’s possible this will be the last machine you would ever buy. Waiting two or three more months for 20 years of service  could be worth it although it is certainly a pisser. 

3 minutes ago, LazarusDB said:

If they had been upfront at the beginning I would have been ok with that. I could have made an informed decision whether I was willing to wait 8+ months. To keep moving the date is the real frustrating part.

8 Months is a lot of time to save for something possibly better. There was a DJ-20 on that list that Tom posted i hear good things about them. Not wanting to buy used i get though. If ya get it home and it's new and something breaks right away you get a person to call and say the two magic words "Fix it" possibly 3 "Fix it now!"

I don't know if there is any reason to be concerned but if their popularity is growing that much and they have a huge backlog i'd be worried about a shoddy batch of machines that got rushed.

9 hours ago, Tom King said:

if I needed a jointer, that 12" Shop Fox would be on my trailer tomorrow.   I've never seen 5 or more 15" jointers on one CL page.   I'll take well seasoned cast iron over fresh any day.

I know, i was kind of shocked at how many large jointers are up there. The 12" shopfox would have been my pick too, but if you click on the listing, it sold. the guy doesnt know how to delete the listing. Ive never seen that 15" machine in my life. 

Few things, do you already own a decent 6" jointer? If so, then sucking it up for another couple months doesnt seem awful. If you do not, then i suggest you go get that woodtek 8"er for $500 pronto. After setting it up, i doubt you will remember the grizzly after a week. 

As to the delay complaint... meh. We arent ordering a a roll of paper towels off amazon here. There is a lot of time involved in making the machine, let alone shipping it across the world and getting it into their distribution centers. Remember the principle of "Fast, Good, or Cheap". You only get to pick two and it sounds a lot like you are miffed that you arent getting all three on this transaction. I think that is asking a bit much on your behalf. 

This problem is  not specific to Grizzly, i imagine. I ordered a 1-1/4" shaper spindle from Felder 3+ months ago for $500-600. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks....

11 hours ago, LazarusDB said:

If they had been upfront at the beginning I would have been ok with that. I could have made an informed decision whether I was willing to wait 8+ months. To keep moving the date is the real frustrating part.

Do they take payment upfront or bill when it ships? If they took my money upfront i'd be WAY more ticked off than if they only bill when it ships. With today's markets 1,500 being tied up is a large potential loss. Hypothetically speaking in a years time that could be the difference between Grizz money and PM money.

Also i was curious and found that there have been backorders on this machine through all of 2017 it seemed. Jet has a 10% sale this weekend.

There are so many, I missed the Woodtek 8".  I own a Woodtek 6", as well as several other Woodtek machines, and I've never had to even adjust any of them.  Woodtek is Woodworkers Supply store brand, and since they're fairly close to me, the woods are full of their used machines.  I think they come out of the same factory as Grizzly.

4 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Remember the principle of "Fast, Good, or Cheap" You only get to pick two and it sounds a lot like you are miffed that you aren't getting all three on this transaction. I think that is asking a bit much on your behalf. 

He says clearly above it's a problem of the "moving target", not the fact that he has to wait.  

I disagree on the pick 2 in this case.  If they only charged $100 for a 16" jointer, you still can't call it "cheap" if the jointer never arrives.