Bedside Table: (Late) Christmas present for my Daughter

wnaziri

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

This is top notch work. I really like the under bevel for the top gives the illusion of a much larger overhang.

Did you say this is going to a college dorm!? Good quality furniture is nice in a dorm half my stuff fell apart.

My daughter is at UNC and she is in one those snooty sororities.  Outwardly, the sorority appears to be calm and there is hope the piece will remain intact over the next couple of months till she graduates :rolleyes:.  

59 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

My daughter is at UNC and she is in one those snooty sororities.  Outwardly, the sorority appears to be calm and there is hope the piece will remain intact over the next couple of months till she graduates :rolleyes:.  

Hey i have a lot of friends that were in snooty sororities and as soon as i figure out if that is an insult or just an observation then i can decide if I'm offended ... :D

• Like 1

Beautiful table  !

Filled pores make sense in the right conditions. Usually just the tabletop is done. Filling the pores on an entire piece is an incredible amount of work. A filled pore top on a bedside table produces a more continuous film that should hold up to a spilled or sweating glass of water better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Beautiful table  !

Filled pores make sense in the right conditions. Usually just the tabletop is done. Filling the pores on an entire piece is an incredible amount of work. A filled pore top on a bedside table produces a more continuous film that should hold up to a spilled or sweating glass of water better.

Bingo! 

I LIKE the natural look of mahogany with the pores but I wanted to allow the top to have a little extra protection given the environment for this piece.   

• Thanks 1

Beautiful piece, excellent execution, Wade! Your attention to figure in the mahogany is obvious. I agree, the Brusso hinges can be a pain, but I sure love the action. I used them on a curved front cabinet a while back and they challenged me. 

I'm sure your great grandchildren will appreciate it!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, difalkner said:

I can't even find Genuine Mahogany here - where do you get yours?

Well, long story.  Short version: A friend owns a lumber company and he sells me small quantities on occasion.  The sad part about this lumber company is that I can not refer anyone.  Their clients are lumber companies, manufacturers, and distributors.  99.9% of their sales are to Chinese companies.  The quality of their lumber is incredible.  If there is a shortage of mahogany, I suspect it is because China is sucking it all up.

• Sad 1